Cheap recording setup

NinjaModder

• Members

Can someone suggest me a cheap recording setup. I am currently low on money due to college and such but I plan on getting my band members to chip in. I am looking at 100-200 dollars. Will go used if I need to.

Just something to get guitar recording to sound nice and vocals to sound nice. I figure I can ghetto rig the mics used for guitar for the drums somehow.

How many makes will I need? I saw a 100 dollar kit with a condenser mic and something else.

What else do I need to get this onto my computer? Do I need a fancy usb interface?

• Members

This is the easiest way to get into multi-microphone recording:

A bit to expensive for me... I know there isn't much cheaper out there.

I don't necessarily need multi-recording. I just need some decent recording mics and someway to put them through to my computer.

• Members

Well that isn't what I want. I hate Line 6. I know that people swear by it but my recording will be a mic in front of an amp. Not modeling. Straight from the speakers... cone?

So Line 6 is out of the question. I just need an XLR interface. I'm looking into the M-Audio stuff.

• Members
I've found them used for about 100 dollars online.

Which is better, Tascam or M-Audio?

The only Tascam I've ever had was tape recorder. :idk:

This you can find for less than 100$ locally, here anyway. They're about 125$ in stores.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOMOBILEPRE
I plugged a POD into it, sounded really nice. A mic would let you record vocals too. Both the guy I bought it from and the guy I sold it to used it for vox.

• Members
The only Tascam I've ever had was tape recorder.
:idk:

This you can find for less than 100$ locally, here anyway. They're about 125$ in stores.

I plugged a POD into it, sounded really nice. A mic would let you record vocals too. Both the guy I bought it from and the guy I sold it to used it for vox.

I need an XLR input :

• Members
Well that isn't what I want. I hate Line 6. I know that people swear by it but my recording will be a mic in front of an amp. Not modeling. Straight from the speakers... cone?

So Line 6 is out of the question. I just need an XLR interface. I'm looking into the M-Audio stuff.

The mixer in my sig also works for that, actually. I almost forgot. :facepalm:
The preamps are not as recording-friendly it seems, it's harder to get a good sound so far. :mad:

• Members
Wow, that's a long time ago. I used the RCA outs to a soundcard's LINE IN, but I think you have to record on the tape first and then playback to the computer.
:confused:

Hm... I think I just might go digital. I'll look into the M-Audio stuff. Thank you!

Now for mics. I found 2 mics for 100 dolllars.

These were one set I found
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

Are these any good for a cheap-ish set?

• Members
Hm... I think I just might go digital. I'll look into the M-Audio stuff. Thank you!

Now for mics. I found 2 mics for 100 dolllars.

These were one set I found

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

Are these any good for a cheap-ish set?

55 reviews will tell you what you need to know! :lol:
Cool package, but it seems that "acoustic guitars and drum overhead" might not be suitable for loudspeaker grille applications too. Make it sure it can take a strong direct level.

• Members
The only Tascam I've ever had was tape recorder.
:idk:

I think I'm getting that. 100 new at MF.

• Members
Why not just get a Zoom H2 or Zoom H4. They record live stuff great and you can run them into your computer.

Lots of things they can do.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodid=1916

I think I am going to do this. I never thought of it. Currently we just throw a rock band mic ( :facepalm: ) into my computer and throw it in the middle of the room. I think this would fit perfectly for what we need. Vocals might be hard to do though. How would I go about that?

My friend is saying that the Zoom H2 is not worth it and I should just go with a bunch of mics and an interface.

Opinions? I'm in the middle of the road on this one.

• Members

The M-Audio interface and the MXL mics will do everything you need easily. Both mics will handle pretty high SPLs by condensor standards so guitar cabs will be fine.
None of it is of the highest quality (obviously), but a good engineer could get very passable results out of that combination.
It's certainly a good enough rig for you to learn about mic placement and techniques, and the interface seems to have the full 48v phantom power which you need. (A lot of USB-powered interfaces put out a lower voltage or have none at all.)

• Members
The M-Audio interface and the MXL mics will do everything you need easily. Both mics will handle pretty high SPLs by condensor standards so guitar cabs will be fine.

None of it is of the highest quality (obviously), but a good engineer could get very passable results out of that combination.

It's certainly a good enough rig for you to learn about mic placement and techniques, and the interface seems to have the full 48v phantom power which you need. (A lot of USB-powered interfaces put out a lower voltage or have none at all.)

Yeah I think I am going with that. I need mic stands and such to go with them but oh well. I will have to wait a bit to see how much college stuff will be but hopefully I can get it soon.

Now I'm kind of MASing (hehe) for a bullet mic to sing in :p

Archived