Setting up guitar with banjo strings. Page style.

NinjaModder

• Members

After re watching parts of it might get loud I wanted to try out the concept of dropping the low E string and moving the rest up and then putting the banjo string as the first string.

Now I usually use Super Slinkys but I just don't know what banjo string to use.

Anyone know which one to use? Or what banjo strings to buy?

Also has anyone used this? What is the difference?

• Members

To clarify the use of banjo strings, James Burton, Ricky Nelson's lead guitar player in the 1950's, used that idea first as I recall. The reason was that there were no slinky strings made back then, so this is how the heavy string problem was overcome.

Page got the idea from James.

The string most often used from a banjo set would have to be the lightest string on a bluegrass style 5-string banjo. This string would be attached on the low side of the banjo and start at about the four fret.

• Members

To clarify the use of banjo strings, James Burton, Ricky Nelson's lead guitar player in the 1950's, used that idea first as I recall. The reason was that there were no slinky strings made back then, so this is how the heavy string problem was overcome.

The string most often used from a banjo set would have to be the lightest string on a bluegrass style 5-string banjo. This string would be attached on the low side of the banjo and start at about the four fret.

I know he wasn't the first to use it but he gave me the idea. Is it worth it or are super slinkys the same nowadays?

• Members

It depends on the banjo set chosen, I guess.
Check out different gauged banjo sets and see what the lighest string in the set is, then go from there.

Due to losing two nerves that control my hand power in my left hand last year, I have had to go to a much lighter set of strings. The regular 8 gauge sets are not light enough for my hand, so I have custom gauged sets made up by GHS from 8-36.

If I still need lighter gauged strings, D'Addario does make a 7 gauge high string from which I could build a set.

• Members

I used to do this when I was a teen in the mid 60's and gauged sets were not available.

I would buy a high G string. But I can't remember if it was a banjo or mandolin string. I'd toss out the low E and my problems were solved.

These days, I don't think it's worth the bother since you can find .007 sets (James Bond theme kicks in).

I don't think that going lighter than .007 is going to help. In the 60's, it was a big help. You don't really have to do that now.

• Members

I wouldnt waste your time with banjo strings. Most banjo strings get stale from sitting on a shelf for years, and wind up snapping quickly. If you want .007s just buy them. http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_PL007.aspx?source=FROOGLEFEED

They used to sell full sets with .007 gauged back in the 70s and 80s but they would break so fast, they just werent popular any more. The 7's are used on 12 string G strings still and are your best bet for obtaining them. You can also buy individual strings and build your own sets. You can use say .007, .010, .013, .021, .028, .038 and have a pretty balanced set.

The 7s are hard to find but the link above will get you to them, the rest can be bought here http://www.juststrings.com/guitarsinglestrings.html

• Members

Im pretty sure he hasnt done that in 50 years...But if you want to be Uber- Authentic (and who doesnt?) they still sell Black Diamond strings which according to everyone from BB King to EC were like playing telephone pole wires lol...then switch those out with some banjos.

I always though things like banjo strings and bass frets (SRV) were like Unicorns, but I guess its true afterall/

Archived