Bare rosewood -- allergy risk?

ModernSaloon

• Members

I saw that Warmoth has an option for both rosewood necks and tops, and it got me GAS'ing for a bare (rose)wood guitar. Like your average rosewood fingerboard, no? No need to apply any finish to it; just lemon oil once a year and you're golden.

Now, I don't usually rub my forearm against the fingerboard all the time like I do against the top of the guitar. I don't think I even touch it most of the time -- my fingers are usually on the strings :)

Anybody knows if a bare rosewood neck or top can cause allergies?

If so, what would be the minimum finishing that one needs to do to prevent this?

I notice that the Fender rosewood telecaster seems to have their usual thick plastic coating, so maybe a bare rosewood top is out of the question?

• Members

I saw that Warmoth has an option for both rosewood necks and tops, and it got me GAS'ing for a bare (rose)wood guitar. Like your average rosewood fingerboard, no? No need to apply any finish to it; just lemon oil once a year and you're golden.

Now, I don't usually rub my forearm against the fingerboard all the time like I do against the top of the guitar. I don't think I even touch it most of the time -- my fingers are usually on the strings
:)

Anybody knows if a bare rosewood neck or top can cause allergies?

If so, what would be the minimum finishing that one needs to do to prevent this?

I notice that the Fender rosewood telecaster seems to have their usual thick plastic coating, so maybe a bare rosewood top is out of the question?

Rosewood allergy is not unheard of, but seems to be pretty darned rare. A search at PubMed (the US National Institutes of Health-US National Library of Medicine search engine) came up with only 12 articles going back to 1966.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Enter "rosewood allergy" and see what you get.

:idk:

• Members

This is a strange question. Are you asking if you will have an allergic reaction to a rosewood neck? If you are allergic to rosewood, then maybe. If you aren't, then no. If you don't know, that's a question you should be asking your doctor, not your guitar retailer.

• Members

People develop sensitivities to some exotic woods, some more notable varieties such as Cocobolo, other Dalbergiaa (sp?), Padauk, Pau Ferro, etc. Usually it's the dust that causes the problems.

A rosewood neck probably will not be an issue, especially if it has a finish. Cocobolo has enough oils in it, though, that you can buff it to a really nice shine without anything else on it.

Archived