Hendrix+PE=WIN!, Pink Floyd+Wyclef=WIN!,ect. (Rock+Rap=WIN!)

2pacHendrix

• Members

a little late but whatever but nearly all rock music is about the same thing just with different terminology.

respect is all about terminology.....

calling women "bitches and hoes" shows zero respect for the women and themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

respect is all about terminology.....

calling women "bitches and hoes" shows zero respect for the women and themselves.

I agree, but that's how they get money. I don't like any music with overly obscene lyrics, profanity is fine if you want to emphesize something, but using it in every line or every other word is ridiculous. I'm also talking about some metal songs, too.

Anyway, for all you Lennon fans, here's a good one by Blu (The future of hip hop)

[YOUTUBE]qD28N0gmk_4[/YOUTUBE]

I LOVE Blu and John Lennon, so this song is good with me :)

• 10 months later...
  • Members

:rolleyes:
you+keyboard=fail.

The man is entitled to his opinion, not everybody has to agree with you.

On topic now. IMO Rap and Rock are two genres that separately have their merits. A combination of the two, however, is abominable, at least to me. Both "sampling" which I consider a talentless shortcut and nu-metal or rap rock is just god awful garbage. Rock and Rap should remain two separate entities.

• Members

No need to hate on something that isn't 100% your thing. Just gotta have an open mind, as a musician there's gotta be something in there that you like or at least respect.

Pet peeve of mine I guess, a musician calling other musicians talentless hacks for doing whatever they're not. Maybe try getting some samples together sometime, try forming some beats.

• Members

No need to hate on something that isn't 100% your thing. Just gotta have an open mind, as a musician there's gotta be something in there that you like or at least respect.

Pet peeve of mine I guess, a musician calling other musicians talentless hacks for doing whatever they're not. Maybe try getting some samples together sometime, try forming some beats.

It's simply because at this point "rock" has become an elitist genre...like the blues or Jazz....full of pompous assholes who somehow think that what ever "they" do is the true definition of what is "real" music. So people with what they (the pompous assholes) consider 'instruments' are musicians and others are not. Must suck to have such a narrow definition of what constitutes a musician.

I also think that much of the hate from mostly white rock fans towards what is still a "black" form of music..is rooted in racism. Much in the same way that back in the day early forms of rock were treated by whites in much the same way. It's not 'real' music..'it's the devils music' etc....

• Members

Never been a fan of it at all.

What I don't like is that the majority of them, don't mention where they got their sample from, so alot of rap only fans think that their favorite rap artist came up with this hot idea, but it really is not theirs.

I think some rap artists have just ruined rap for me with their lack or respect for anything...

• Members

Sampling tracks to make your beats is an entirely legitimate art form.

But if a hip-hop song is re-using too much of its source material, it only serves to remind me that I wish I was listening to the "real" song instead.

When it's done well, the original song doesn't even need to be particularly good.

[YOUTUBE]YAZ_KfN-Zyo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Here's one of the best rap/rock mixes EVAR... {censored} is real (disregard the ravens garbage, the original vid disabled embedding- it's nappy roots ft. the old guitarist from POD)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

here's the orig vid

• Members

Never been a fan of it at all.

What I don't like is that the majority of them, don't mention where they got their sample from, so alot of rap only fans think that their favorite rap artist came up with this hot idea, but it really is not theirs.

I think some rap artists have just ruined rap for me with their lack or respect for anything...

Most people know hip hop uses samples. Then again, if you have people who believe Madonna plays her own instruments, there will be some people who think rappers did too. But producing is an art form. You got lazy producers who just add drum loops and call it a song, then there are producers like J Dilla, Madlib, Mf Doom who make the original sample sound nothing like their creation.

y104colUJrI

JKd_zedlgoE&feature=related

32X-ieCav-M&feature=related

And this song samples vocals from 'Bless the Telephone' by Labi Siffre.

L6Ho_WRywjA

FirBvR1HmKI&feature=related

Also, sampling opens listeners up to new songs and artists. I had no idea who Sufjan Stevens was until I listen to a Blackalicious song where they sampled his song. And most producers sample unkown artists, so they still get exposure.

Anyway, if anyone likes Jose Gonzalez check this out:

mT_Ve3gWZ0w

MF Doom raps over this, but this is just the istrumental. Dert remixed Jose's album Veneer. It's pretty cool, you can download it for free if you google it. It has Talib Kweli, Nas, Common and others on it.

Also, Dert has an album where he samples all Bjork songs, it's pretty cool:

ne18Rg9g8cw&feature=related

And Pink Floyd:

5AbpOa5DCT8&feature=related

YulxHcy54Ac&feature=related

Archived