Roland GR-30, Gr-33 or GR-20?

Wolfboy1

• Members

Anyone use one of these?

I've been thinking about getting one since I have a nice Godin nylon equipped with a midi pick-up. It seems like there is not a huge difference in the models...am I wrong? The 33 seems to have the most options and the 30 is the cheapest in cost. Any one here own one and use it or have an opinion as to what's the best way to go? Anyone have one they want to unload?

Thanks for any advice:thu:

• Members

I think the 20 is the only one currently in production. It is similar to the 33, but is more plug and play. If you want to to do a lot of patch editing then you are better off with the 33. Otherwise they are very similar.

I don't know much about the 30, I have never used one.

• Members

The 33. The 30 has some tracking issues that the 33 resolves. The 20 is basically a lobotomized 33 - same engine you just don't have the ability to edit patches. If you can live with the sounds the 20 produces, that's fine, but I find I've done a fair bit of patch tweaking to get the sounds I want. YMMV.

• Members

I use a GR33 and have previously owned a GR30 and an older GR50. And as the others have said the GR33 is the best. It's definitely the most advanced guitar synth Roland has made yet as far as features, tweakability, etc. The GR30 is also quite decent and I would get one of those before the GR20. If you are not going to do a lot of editing and are just going to use a few presets, the GR30 might be fine for you, and less expensive. But if you want the best, find a GR33.

• Members

I owned a 20 and sold it in favor of the 33. Now that I have the 33 I miss the 20 LoL. I would say the presets on the 20 were better than the 33. I thought the over all fidelity of the 20 was better but the 33 gives much more in the way of editing. I got a little frustrated with the 20 sometimes. That said I do miss some of the presets and truthfully don't find myself with the time to mess with the editing. If I could do it all over.....I would have stayed with the 20. Wolfboy, not that I would have influenced your decession, enjoy your 33.

• Members

Well back from an out of town trip and it was waiting for me. A used GR-33, $276.99 + $9.95 shipping.

Works great, played for 3 hours last night. It is fairly simple to get up and running. I didn't do much except cycle through some of the presets. Man does it give you some inspirational ideas. The Brass sounds a fantastic. Many others are awesome as well. I have a Godin ACS slimline nylon and noticed absolutely no tracking issues. These two were meant for each other. Can't wait to learn more. I think my guitar skills will suffer some as my technological skills improve but at my age new stuff keeps the brain firing on all cylinders:thu:

Thanks for all the help folks, I think the GR-33 was the way to go, love the many possibilties.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

My first foray into guitar synth after 45 years of playing was a GR-20. Bought it a couple months back and love it. Picked it up from Sweetwater who priced matched an authorized dealer on the bay. Saved quite a bit. I chose an older guitar of mine for mounting the GK 3 pickup, a Ibanez Roadstar II. The pickup, as low profile and small as it is, still requires some room in front of the bridge to mount the pickup. Out of 20 guitars I own, the pickup would only fit on 3 of them. I did'nt want to mess up my SG's so the Roadstar was my choice. I love the sounds I can get, although the tweeking offered in the 33 would be desirable on the 20. Still one of the best toys I've bought in a long time and I'm constantly buying new gear. Thumbs up for the GR20.

Cheers, Jeff

Archived