Are volume and tone pots the same thing?

jds22

• Members

Not sure what you're getting at. But most control pots are audio taper. Some people claim that Teles have audio for (IIRC) volume and linear for tone. May be the other way around. But they are the same part, just used for different things with different results.

• Members

na, one is to control the tone and one is to control the volume

:cop:

Yep, same thing. If you're buying pots don't look for ones labeled tone or volume. Some people prefer audio taper for volume and liner taper for tone but that's personal preference.

• Members

As already stated, they are the same part.

What makes a tone pot be a tone pot instead of a volume pot is that you wire a capacitor between the pot and ground. The capacitor directs only the high frequencies to ground, letting the lower freqencies travel on to the output jack.

A volume knob doesn't have that capacitor, so it sends the whole signal to ground.

• Members

As far as replacing with low friction: don't waste your money. IMO, pots is pots. Just replace them when they get bad and use good quality ones when you do. I like CTS because they're as good as anything and aren't too expensive. I also like 300K pots with my sc's.

• Members

re audio vs linear

you can use either but most people use audio for volume because the ear percieves a linear pot to jump from say 2-10 instead of a gradual (linear) change (1-2-3-4)...its kind of like legerdemain for the ears.

BTW this is exactly the type of thing that convinces me when people talk about the science or physics of a guitar in arguments about tone changes when sheilding or different caps having different tone or even crystal latticies that something on paper isnt always true in application.

Archived