Strats & Gold Pickguards

RingoCalamity

• Members

I`ve been thinking about my next Strat the last little while . It won`t be happening for a bit, seeing as how I`m flat broke and jobless, but this sort of window shopping keeps me entertained. Anyhoo, I really like the idea of a gold pickguard. Initially, Candy Apple Red seemed like the natural colour to combine it with, but some googling has turned up a variety of options that all look very, very nice to me.

Let me know what your favorite is, or if you just hate the gold pickguards, post about that too. Pics:

btw, I couldn`t figure out how to get them to pop up at full size, but most of these have a larger version attached if you click through.

CAR

31-1209269003T.jpg

Black

31-1213069070T.jpg

Gold and...gold

31-1237592566T.jpg

Desert Sand (probably close to blonde too)

31-1214476295T.jpg

Sage Green

31-1424482423T.jpg

3TSB - I think this one here belongs to a forumite who`s selling it. Apologies for stealing the pic, beautiful guitar.

31-1240223739T.jpg

Ice Blue

31-1241069442T.jpg

Olympic White

31-1241501998T.jpg

• Members

I'm surprised, the only color I don't think works at all is red & gold. I like black the most... might even put one on my Strat, assuming I could find a gold pg on the cheap.

(C'mon Fender. $40 for a hunk of plastic? are you serious?)

Thought they were anodized aluminum.

• Members

The gold-on-gold is a bit gaudy for me, though I like gold strats in general (white pg)

I do love a lot of metallic Fender finishes, but I have to say, the gold pg looks best to me on a creamy off-white body.

They all look pretty sharp though!

Oh, and thanks for the strat GAS. I've never found a strat I wanted to keep more than a few months, but lately they are calling to me again.

• Members

I really dig the desert sand and gold. Oly white would be my second favorite.

Here's my refinished lefty strat with a gold pickguard.

Think it'd look better with cream plastics, but I only had white on hand at the time.

DSC_4580a1.jpg

• Members

I am going to be putting this one together is a couple weeks after I finish a couple other projects. Pickguard is from a USA Deluxe and it is acrylic, not aluminum.

1003045o.jpg
1003044.jpg

I was going to post a negative comment about gold PGs on any color but have been enlightened. Very nice indeed!

• Members

I was going to post a negative comment about gold PGs on any color but have been enlightened. Very nice indeed!

Thanks! I bought that one a while back for an olympic white strat that wound up with a mint guard. After I tried black, tortoise and parchment on this body I pulled the gold one out and really liked it too.

• Members

I'm surprised, the only color I don't think works at all is red & gold. I like black the most.

That's funny, I think the red one looks awesome! On the web anyway, I wonder if it would hold up in person.

The one that looks the worst to me is the olympic white, which sucks because I have a white strat and have been considering a gold guard for it.

Edit: I take that back - looks like it depends on the pic. The pic right above ^^^ looks good!

• Members

I like em:

4167ada1.jpg

Nice! I`m liking the Tele, I`d never even seen one with a gold guard before. The Desert Sand finishes are really nice. This is the curse of options, every time I think I`ve settled on one, another catches my eye and I wonder how I could not pick it. This is a process that`ll probably happen about 50 times between now and when I actually get my next guitar...which will probably end up being an SG or something, the way I flip flop. :facepalm:

Archived