How much do you think this Fender "Frankenamp" is worth?

fuzztone

• Members

My friend is selling this amp

47957_425271644693_214338624693_4676039_

The Chassis is from a 1961 Brownface Fender Super

120196120FENDER20SUPER202X1020COMBO-1.jp

The cabinet is from a 1963 Blonde Fender Pro

60proamp.jpg

This amp came from a recording studio in my town. It has been a workhorse there for the past 40 years but has been well maintained

It has new caps and tubes and a 15 inch speaker (I'm not sure what it is). The amp sounds awesome with that unique brownface tremelo circuit.

What do you think it is worth? He is asking $1300 for it.

• Members

The inside of the chassis and the transformers make the difference.

But if the chassis is stock, then $1300 is a great deal, especially if the speaker is from the original Pro. In original cabinet, it would pull about $1700-1800 with a stock chassis.

• Members

If you want that sound, then you need to buy one.

There are two different revisions of the harmonic vibrato circuit; the 2 tube version (4 triodes, earlier) and the 2 1/2 tube (5 triodes, later) version.

I think that the 2 1/2 tube version is generally preferred (aka worth more), and probably less succeptible to extraneous noise, but I don't have that much experience with HV amps.

• Members

Thanks for the posts and info!

OK, some corrections about the origin of this amp.It is a 1961 Fender Super 6G4-A chassis.

In a 1961 Fender Pro 6G5 cabinet

It came from a studio in Nashville where the last owner bought it as is 30 years ago

The Super is mostly original but one of the transformers was changed to allow it fit in the cabinet with a 4 ohm 15 inch speaker.

101_0021-1.jpg

101_0031.jpg

101_0030.jpg

101_0029.jpg

101_0028.jpg

101_0027.jpg

101_0024.jpg

101_0034.jpg

101_0026.jpg

101_0037.jpg

• Members

Fender used to sell the flat logos when they released the Zinky amps. Check with John Sprung (AGC) or Angela. I raided mine off an old ratty bandmaster cab.

Judging by the plastic wire, the old OT was replaced. Bummer. Did they save it?

Speaker is a 90's-ish Eminece, judging by the rectangular fabric sticker on the magnet assembly.

I'd bet the amp will sound a lot better with something other than the Sovtek "5881" tubes in there now. Be aware that the plate voltages are probably pretty high, so you don't want NOS Tung Sols in there, or anything. Good choices would be Sylvania 7581 (or small bottle Phillips "5881" - available cheap through Angela) or SED 6L6GC.

• Members

Fender used to sell the flat logos when they released the Zinky amps. Check with John Sprung (AGC) or Angela. I raided mine off an old ratty bandmaster cab.

Judging by the plastic wire, the old OT was replaced. Bummer. Did they save it?

Speaker is a 90's-ish Eminece, judging by the rectangular fabric sticker on the magnet assembly.

I'd bet the amp will sound a lot better with something other than the Sovtek "5881" tubes in there now. Be aware that the plate voltages are probably pretty high, so you don't want NOS Tung Sols in there, or anything. Good choices would be Sylvania 7581 (or small bottle Phillips "5881" - available cheap through Angela) or SED 6L6GC.

Thanks for the help! the original OT was changed 30 years ago because it was too large to fit into this cab with this speaker. The Super has an impedance of 4 ohm and runs 2x10 at 8 ohms each in parallel. It is now running the the 15 inch speaker at 4 ohms but the original OT wouldn't fit into the pro cab with this speaker so that is why it was changed.

Do you think it is worth $1100?That is what I can buy it for. They let me take it home for the weekend to try.It sounds awesome,but really different than the last Fender amp I owned(Silverface Princeton Reverb).Still I really like it alot and I think I will get it.

101_0043-1.jpg

• Members

Hey Fuzz, do you like it? Can you appreciate the tone as it is for the cash that you are going to drop with all the modifications? If so, by all means grab it. If sound wise it does nothing for you, well, you know what to do. It's useless to have a "vintage" piece if it does nothing for you unless you are comfortable with the idea of flipping it for the same price or better in the future.

• Members

Thanks guys! I love the sound of this amp,I just asked about the value because I always worry about if I ever needed to sell a piece of gear for an emergency or what ever I would like to be able to get most of my money back. I just want to be sure that $1100 is a fair price for an amp like this.

I can't do an ebay search because it has been modified. Probably figuring out the parts value might be a better indicator of the value. The Pro cab buy itself must be worth something because it is the "Pink" Brown Tolex with the Oxblood grill. I think they only made those up till 1961.

And then the Super Chassis is worth something too. Maybe someday I could get a Super Cab and a Pro chassis and make it into 2 Brownface amps.

101_0047.jpg

• Members

Sure. There's no reason to spend more than you need to.

In any case, if you find a Pro chassis, you can always do a repro cab for the Super, keep the one you want, and you're golden!

Or if you find a Super cab, you can sell the Pro cab at a premium.

I've only got one Brown - a Princeton I resurrected from the grave. I used to like it a lot, but since I started building, it's my least favorite sounding amp, even if the trem is killer.

• Members

I don't know if you could get your money back in a rush. A lot of vintage buyers want all original pieces...not pieces from different amps all in one.

But...if you like the sound and aren't going to be too worried about that, then get it. You might play a ton of different amps before you find one you like, so if the one in your room puts a smile on your face, then don't let it go.

• Members

Thanks guys! Yeah, some collectors would have a fit. But I think it is a beauty.Without looking inside most people wouldn't know it was a chimera without checking their Fender Amp Field Guide.

101_0047-2-1.jpg

These are the specs of the 2 models that this is made from( The Super chassis is a 6G4-A)

Fender Super (Brown)

Model/Circuit Number: 6G4, 6G4-A

Years of Production: 1960 - 1963

Era: Brownface

Configuration: Combo

Controls: Brown forward facing w/ white screened labels, controls numbered 1-10

Knobs: Brown Round

Faceplate

* Front: 6G4: Normal: In, In, Bass, Treb, Vol - Bright: In, In, Bass, Treb, Vol, Speed, Intensity - Presense - Pilot Lamp ; 6G4-A: Normal: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass - Bright: In, In, Vol, Treb, Bass, Speed, Intensity - Presense - Pilot Lamp

* Rear: 6G4: Ground Sw, Fuse (3A), Power Sw, Standby Sw, Speaker Jack, Vibrato Jack

Cabinet

* Dimensions: 18 x 24 x 10

Archived