Educate me on Tokai guitars please...

D_Bird

• Members

For the life of me I can't find anything on the internet that gives me an idea of what Korean made Tokais are worth. Not that I feel that my strat is worth a whole lot, but I'd like to know that I could at least sell it for a couple hundred bucks. Anyway, I'll give it a hot lap and take it from there.

Should earn a couple of hundred easy, but that may depend on the model and looks.

But, the Fender will be a million times easier to move for cash. Everybody knows Gibson and Fender and they are mush easier to move on the second-hand market. Much harder to find someone who knows and appreciates the Tokai name to pay you a fair price unless you are willing to ship.

Let's put it this way. I used to own a Chandler Telepathic hi-end Telecaster-esque guitar. It's new street price was somewhere around $1500...I bought it for $375. When I was trying to sell it later, asking as little as $300, people would pass it by to pay more for a used Mexican Fender. The Chandler was made better, had nitro finish, better electronics, real swamp ash and birdseye maple...all options you would have to buy Custom Shop to get from Fender BUT everyone felt safer sticking with the Fender name.

• Members

Should earn a couple of hundred easy, but that may depend on the model and looks.

But, the Fender will be a million times easier to move for cash. Everybody knows Gibson and Fender and they are mush easier to move on the second-hand market. Much harder to find someone who knows and appreciates the Tokai name to pay you a fair price unless you are willing to ship.

Let's put it this way. I used to own a Chandler Telepathic hi-end Telecaster-esque guitar. It's new street price was somewhere around $1500...I bought it for $375. When I was trying to sell it later, asking as little as $300, people would pass it by to pay more for a used Mexican Fender. The Chandler was made better, had nitro finish, better electronics, real swamp ash and birdseye maple...all options you would have to buy Custom Shop to get from Fender BUT everyone felt safer sticking with the Fender name.

Some people are stupid. I would have bought your Chandler.

• Members

Check out Ebay for price checks. I looked myself, but didn't see an ES 335 style Tokai guitar on there.

Here in the UK, the MIK Tokais I've seen both new and used typically hover in and around the same values as per the equivalent Epiphones.

Archived