Bigsby maintenance

kylef

• Members

After having a bigsby B7 problem, where ever the bar was left, the bigsby would stay in that position causing the guitar to mis-tune, i have just replaced it.

I wanted to replace it anyway. I wanted an all gold bigsby like the old 355's, not the black and gold bigsby that came with my reissue so it was quite a blessing.

Now i dont want the same thing to happen again. How can i keep this bigsby maintained so it holds tune and doesnt misfunction? Im thinking what kind of oil should be used etc? I know the US made B7's have bearings in them, but this means nothing to me, i need to be told right from the basics.....

• Members

They don't need much maintenance. A little 3 in one oil will do just fine, but it will only need a bit once in a great while. Hit the bearings, and the roller. A little vasaline on the top and bottom of the spring isn't a bad idea either.

The rest of the guitar needs more maintenance than the bigsby itself . Keep your nut lubed every string change, and change the strings often. Old strings won't return in tune. Maintain your saddles too.

• Members

Are you using the stock TOM bridge?

Strings snag on the bridge saddles and get stuck, and they bind on poorly cut nuts. This keeps the Bigsby from returning to pitch. that's why all the famous Bigsby players had to give it the little correction tug after using the Bigsby.

Graphtech, rolling bridges, etc. help immensely.

Archived