Sign in to follow this  
James Hetfield Acne Scars

Do you think Joe Perry is overrated?

nope. he's rated right where he should be. A good solid player but not one of the legendary or virtuosic players. I rarely hear him talked about in the same way that guys like van halen, hendrix, satriani, rhoads, etc. are talked about and rated. So, for me I think he's right where he belongs.

That's just about what I was going to say.

He's not a ground breaker or visionary, but he is responsible for some catchy classic rock riffs. And from what I've seen in interviews, he's pretty modest and knows where he stands in the pantheon of rock guitarists.

nope. he's rated right where he should be. A good solid player but not one of the legendary or virtuosic players. I rarely hear him talked about in the same way that guys like van halen, hendrix, satriani, rhoads, etc. are talked about and rated. So, for me I think he's right where he belongs.

This

Those guys up there are all right.

Nobody rates him very highly so no, he's not overrated.

In fact this is the first thread I can remember there ever being about him.

Joe Perry has charisma, the look, and stage presence. Brad Whitford has the chops and the phrasing. They compliment each other very well.

Poor Brad looks like Droopie.

+1 well said

He's extremely solid with the same band for over 40 years. He's done some side stuff but never did a I'm Edward Van Halen thing I chase and am tone and I have products to prove it. I have a lot respect for that.

No!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrcqWYGOSns

That tune is basically Testify (see my avatar :lol:).

I dunno. I think the tune you posted is a bit overwrought. Personally, I like the playing in Walk This Way. And I don't mean the main riff but the funky stuff being played under the Chuck Berry type lyrics- "Seesaw swingin' whicha boys in the school...". The solo at the end is good, too. The solo at the end of Sweet Emotion is also pretty terrific. As is the one in the funky section of Love In An Elevator. Great playing. If that's all him that is.

Underrated by a little, especially these days, as Aerosmith as a whole is only very relevant to the older guys & girls.

Check out the outro solo on Amazing. His solo is amazing. He's one of those guitarists that, whenever you hear a solo from him, it sounds like he just blew it out right then and there. I don't know of another player who's solos have his kind of spontaneity..... He's about as pure a rock/blues rock guitarist as you're gonna get without the ego or eccentricity.

Underrated by a little, especially these days, as Aerosmith as a whole is only
very
relevant to the older guys & girls.

Check out the outro solo on Amazing. His
solo
is amazing. He's one of those guitarists that, whenever you hear a solo from him, it sounds like he just blew it out right then and there. I don't know of another player who's solos have his kind of spontaneity..... He's about as pure a rock/blues rock guitarist as you're gonna get without the ego or eccentricity.

And he's a Republican!!!:love:

I always thought his choice and constant changes of tones for every song was awesome. Always great tones, whether you dig Aerosmith or not!

I'm not much of an Aerosmith fan myself, but you gotta give it up to anyone who has that many memorable riffs and sounds over the years.

Just watch this and then rate yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKk9C0xNmU

Get your wings had to made with Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner - but really - Joe and Brad are phenomenal.

You dont always have to be a Vai or Satriani - its about feeling.

Old thread. 

I think that YouTube link reinforces the OP. There's not much musicality or technique going on there. Flashy effects and whammy cliches. Plus he's played the song probably 10,000 by the time it was recorded, so I would have thought he'd have learned how to crush it by now if he was going to. He's a great rocker and he has a great rock look going on.

Loved their stuff as a kid. Used my hard-earned money to buy a ticket to the first time Aerosmith was coming through town.

Band came on about an hour late, riffed for 5 or 10 minutes before Tyler stumbled on stage. He was so drunk and out of it the mic stand wouldn't hold him up. Audience started booing, Tyler started swearing, yelling "{censored} you" before stumbling back stage. Band finished the "tune" a few minutes later and that was the end of the show.

No re-runs, no refunds, just a big "{censored} you" for supporting them through buying their albums and paying for a concert ticket.

Then I heard Perry doesn't really play - he's just a poser boi - so, ya, any rating would be over-rated IME.

• Thanks 1

I watched him 1 time at the Worcester Centrum with Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes

many attendees left after the 1st thing they did at there, then

ya they did