Tele bridge plate microphonic?

danswon

• Members

the other guitarist in my band had problems with his original tele single-coil at the bridge being microphonic. so he ordered a GFS lil' puncher 10k and there is still microphonic feeback at high volume distortion. could it be the metal plate bridge? never owned a tele myself so i'm no expert

• Members

it could be the bridgeplate if its warped which happens a lot. Usually feeedback is caused by something moving/vibrating not necessarliy the pickup itself.

a lot of tele guys swear by microphonic pickups, Roy Buchanans Nancy 53 Tele is a great example, that thing was always on the edge of feedback constantly.

• Members

Before potting the pickup try surgical tubing in place of height springs, a piece of foam rubber in the pickup cavity supporting the pickup and either a light coating of melted wax under the bridge plate or two screws on the front of the plate ala a Barden or other high-end Tele plate.

• Members

The plate becomes magnetic from the pickup and spreads the magnetic field out quite a bit and influences the sound but the plate itseld doesnt doesnt generate a signal so its not microphonic. if anything it vibrates woth the body and may generate a littel sound in the coil like the strings do. The suggestions of potting the pup should fix the problem. If its really bad you could cut up a foam mouse pad and put it under the pickup to help kill the oscillation. Wax works best to absorb those high frequencies though.

Archived