Turns out one of my guitars was owned by Poison Ivy from The Cramps...

Josh S

• Members

It's a Bill Lewis - they're mostly famous for being the guitar that David Gilmour played on Money (and a few other tunes). It's neat to have something so rare, even though it could use a serious overhaul at the moment. I got it for the Gilmour connection, of course, but I'm glad to see it's had a little history :cool:

• Members

Really? Sounds expensive.

It wasn't - but I don't think I paid anywhere near what it's probably worth. Good deal for me, as the Gilmour in a Pink Floyd tribute. Last time we played a big show I used it for the second half of Dark Side - probably the first time anyone has ever done that with a Lewis guitar, actually :cool:

• Members

It wasn't - but I don't think I paid anywhere near what it's probably worth. Good deal for me, as the Gilmour in a Pink Floyd tribute. Last time we played a big show I used it for the second half of Dark Side - probably the first time anyone has ever done that with a Lewis guitar, actually
:cool:

That's really cool. Amazing you were able to track one down.

• Members

That's really cool. Amazing you were able to track one down.

A guy that saw one of our shows emailed the band website to see if we wanted it - from what I gathered, he got it in a big lot of items with some other guitars. I didn't ask very many questions since the price was so low. Don't worry, he knew it was rare and everything - but I certainly paid the man and gtfo'd as quick as I could ha ha :D

• Members

Not sure where you get your mis-information, Josh, but Nigel Cutler never owned the Lewis you now own. I can't help you with the history of your Lewis, but I have first-hand knowledge of Nigel Cutler's guitar, and it is an original right-handed Lewis, built for him by Bill Lewis in 1970, and it is in mint original condition.

A man who used to work at Bill Lewis' shop brought it to my attention. And yes, you can also tell by wear patterns, etc (not to mention the holes from the Bigsby that was removed). After Poison Ivy got rid of it the original pickups were re-installed and a funky custom bridge put on.
Then
it was sold to this other dude, Nigel Cutler, who unfortunately had it converted to lefty. I've converted it back, of course, but now it does sport a bit of a leopard-print of dowels ha ha
:D

It's the one in the middle, obvs.

groupshot-1.jpg

• Members

Am I the only one having a hard time seeing any points of similarity between the 2 guitars other than they are the same model?

Not doubting the story and all, but if you ever want to convince a buyer down the road (or us for that matter :lol:), you need to get some better documentation of the instrument's path to you.

Cool guitar anyway... I remember reading Gilmour's account a while back talking about using his Lewis for certain solos because of needing the extra frets.

Archived