What are the major UK guitar manufacturers?

ESchmidt

• Members

Ok Ive been doing a little thinking lately. I live in the US so please excuse my ignorance. I was thinking about guitars and their country of origin. Many people cite the electric guitar's top manufactures as Gibson, Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker, etc. You get the idea. All of these are US based companies. With a large part of rock and roll history taking part in the UK, wouldn't you think that the UK would have equally popular guitar companies? Like I said, I am from the US so I don't know much about companies from the UK. So after all of this I guess my question is "what are the major UK brands of guitars?"

• Members

The UK never really had it's own major manufacturers, unlike the US. Mostly the local market has never been big enough to support a Fender or Gibson sized company, and many guitar players hanker after US designs anyway.

However to answer your question, current makers:

JJ Guitars

Gordon Smith

Burns

Wilkinson/Fret King

Past:

Watkins

Shergold

Eggle

There's probably a bunch I've forgotten. The thing is that there are quite a lot of small-volume manufactures that will never make huge numbers, but do more than just a single luthier.

• Members

Ok. Thats what I thought. It just seems weird to me that the UK had all these huge guitar-based bands (beates, stones, zeppelin, who, floyd, etc.) but no real "top-dog" guitar manufacturer to compete with Fender, Gibson, and the like.

• Members

I'm not sure how big this company is, but one of the finest guitars I have ever held in my hands was made by a company called Sid Poole guitars. Owner was Scottish and told me they were kind of rare, but very well regarded in the UK. Based on the one I played, I can see why. I've looked for one for a while, but I've never found one in the US...or on any of my UK work trips.

• Members

I agree. The UK has the amps, the US has the guitars.

The US has both. To wit: US Amps: Fender, Matchless, Dumble, Mesa Boogie, Victoria, Randall, Line 6, Tech 21, Crate, Peavey, Gibson.....

English Amps: Laney, Marshall, Orange, Vox.

We need an analogous thread to counter the "Why the UK has such a disproportionate effect on rock..." thread. Perhaps: Why has the UK contributed so disproportionately little to guitar design and manufacture"... :lol:

• Members

I'm not sure how big this company is, but one of the finest guitars I have ever held in my hands was made by a company called Sid Poole guitars. Owner was Scottish and told me they were kind of rare, but very well regarded in the UK. Based on the one I played, I can see why. I've looked for one for a while, but I've never found one in the US...or on any of my UK work trips.

Very very highly regarded instruments.

Sid died a few years back, and his last (unfinished) guitar was personally finished by Paul Reed Smith as a tribute to the man!

Good luck in finding one...a '59 burst might be easier to track down!:D

:thu:

• Members

I almost laughed seeing "UK" and "Manufacturing" in the same sentence.

... because it was only the basis of the biggest maritime Empire in global history? I'm not sure that is a subject for laughter. Regret maybe. In the early to mid 19th C, we were digging more coal, building more ships, making more clothing, etc, than most of the rest of you combined. Now it has all declined of course, as in many other developed countries.

However, it is true that not many guitars are made here. Gordon Smith is a good company. UK is an amp manufacturer, and whether you like it or not, there is a 'british' amp sound, or range of sounds. Obviously nothing like what is produced in the US, and more limited in range.

• Members

It's the laughter of irony and sarcasm because manufacturing jobs in the UK have almost disappeared: people want to earn good money, but only in niche markets can you charge realistic prices for products. I started my own business in March this year. When people hear I've already manufactured product and started selling it they are surprised, because no-one admits to just making stuff any more. This is painfully obvious when you meet a bunch of entreprenuers - they all want to sell 'ideas' and IP to overseas companies, rather than make things here they can sell abroad.

On the UK amps side you missed out Matamp, Ashdown, Sheldon, Blackstar, Wizard and Cornell, plus the horde of small boutique makers.

• Members

Ok. Thats what I thought. It just seems weird to me that the UK had all these huge guitar-based bands (beates, stones, zeppelin, who, floyd, etc.) but no real "top-dog" guitar manufacturer to compete with Fender, Gibson, and the like.

You don't necessarily need to build your own tools to be a good carpenter. You just have to know how to use them.

:thu:

• Members

Burns would probably be the most historic brand of guitars for the UK. The names been araound since at least the 60s. Hank Marvin had one. Brian Mays guitar has Burns pickups in them.

Gordon Smith I wouldn't mind owning, I've read a lot of good things about them

Uk really had the Amps, Vox, Marshall Orange and all the other greats that have already been mentioned.

If I buy a UK made guitar (and that could be likely if I had the money) I'd go to a custom build sho and ask for it.

• Members

They had a television program about the personal microcomputer revolution the other day. It was really surprising to see those factories churning out product in the UK. Though, even then, manufacturing of some of the microcomputer brands was off-shored. To the detriment of some of the companies which couldn't obtain enough product to meet demand.

Here in Leicester, there are empty factories all over the place. There was a huge amount of manufacturing around here. Now they're just leaving the factories empty, knocking them down, or converting them to so-called "luxury flats" which nobody wants.

There are major (in the UK at least) guitar brands, except that they are manufactured overseas. If you add together all the brands of John Hornby Skewes, there's an awful lot of product being sold. Many American companies have a sizeable proportion of their product made outside America, so does JHS count?

I'd like to hear from people involved in UK manufacturing if they can obtain a sufficient number of staff who are well motivated, work hard, and perform high quality manufacturing work.

• Members

They had a television program about the personal microcomputer revolution the other day. It was really surprising to see those factories churning out product in the UK. Though, even then, manufacturing of some of the microcomputer brands was off-shored. To the detriment of some of the companies which couldn't obtain enough product to meet demand.

Here in Leicester, there are empty factories all over the place. There was a huge amount of manufacturing around here. Now they're just leaving the factories empty, knocking them down, or converting them to so-called "luxury flats" which nobody wants.

There are major (in the UK at least) guitar brands, except that they are manufactured overseas. If you add together all the brands of John Hornby Skewes, there's an awful lot of product being sold. Many American companies have a sizeable proportion of their product made outside America, so does JHS count?

I'd like to hear from people involved in UK manufacturing if they can obtain a sufficient number of staff who are well motivated, work hard, and perform high quality manufacturing work.

In the early 1980's the BBC Micro ( Acorn ) was a far superior computer, as compared to the IBM PC. In order to make sure that the BBC Micro wouldn't take market share in the developing computer market in the US, the US Federal Communication Commission ( FCC ), put the BBC Micro through a series of unusually extensive and expensive compliance tests.The tests took so long, over a year from what I remember, that by the time the tests were completed the IBM PC had dominated the market, and the window of opportunity was gone. This was a similar technique that the Japanese used to employ to prevent any non-Japanese manufacturer from trying to introduce cars to Japan.

One of the main reasons behind the UK's demise as a manufacturing base, was the foreign economic and political policies of the US after WW II. Whilst the Marshall Plan rebuilt the industrial base of West Germany and Japan, the US was simultaneously undermining the economic and manufacturing capability of the UK. The " Coupe de Grace " was performed by Mrs Thatcher, acting as a stooge for Milton Friedman and his friends. Bad industrial relationships, poor attitudes towards entrepreneurship and misguided attempts to try and remain a " Superpower" didn't help, but for the real reason you need to look at the various US governments, post WWII.

" Special relationship " :rolleyes:

The de-industrialisation of the UK has been in effect for over 4 decades now. The skills that were once in abundance, can still be found, but mostly in small engineeering establishments. The last generation of those who learned their skills working on large projects, for large firms, are reaching retirement age, and they are going to take there knowledge to the grave with them. Since 1979, successive UK Governments have only been interested in soft skill employment areas, such as financial and service sectors. We can't even build a coal fired power station any more, never mind nuclear one's.

• Members

On the UK amps side you missed out Matamp, Ashdown, Sheldon, Blackstar, Wizard and Cornell, plus the horde of small boutique makers.

Not to mention Cornford ... very well regarded amongst the harder-rockin' fraternity, used and endorsed by Richie Kotzen, Guthrie Govan, Dweezil Zappa, Justin Hawkins, Cobalt Stargazer, Frank Gambale, Greg Howe, Porl Thompson etc etc ...

Archived