AllParts vs Warmoth necks?

brandass

• Members

Looking for a strat replacement neck with a carve similar to PRS wide-fat. AllParts and Warmoth carry necks that might fit the bill. The AllParts are a little closer to specs, and a little less expensive.

In your experience, do they truly measure up to Warmoth necks? I've liked Warmoths, no hands-on experience yet with AllParts necks.

Any other stores I should be checking out? MightyMite could be worth a look, but I haven't gotten much info from their website so far. Most other stores carry a very limited selection of strat necks, and most/all have the modern C carve, which is too thin for my purposes. Am I missing some other usual suspects?

Thanks!

• Members

I've used all three and liked them fine.

In a quest to find a "wide-fat" strat neck, I tried the Allparts "fat" neck and found it to be much fatter than PRS. At first I liked it, but after awhile I had to admit that it was a bit too hefty for my taste. I did manage to eventually trade for a 70s style strat replacement neck that feels very similar to a wide-fat, but the damn thing doesn't have a name on it so I don't know where it came from! (Sorry!)

• Members

Thanks for the feedback, man.

Yes, those AllParts necks they label as "chunky" do have thickness specs more akin to baseball bats than wide-fats, so I think I'll steer clear of them as well.

Some other the others seem closer, though.

Good to hear that you had positive experiences on all fronts; looks like Warmoth is more comprehensive about their ordering approach, but in the end it's the neck you receive that counts.

• Members

"Wide Fat" is a bit of a misnomer. It's not a fat neck at all, and isn't any wider most modern guitars.

The nut width and neck profile is actually closest to a Fender modern C-shaped neck. Both have the same relative shape and thickness and both have a 1-11/16" nut; but the PRS has a shorter scale length and it's fretboard radius is 10" instead of 9.5".

So, with Warmoth, the PRS neck falls somewhere in-between the "Standard Thin" and "59 Roundback"

Allparts, on the other hand only really offers the vintage-style narrow 1-5/8" nut, and round 7.25" fretboard on almost all their Start necks.

• Members

At least according to the PRS and Warmoth websites, the wide-fat is slightly fatter than a strat modern C (not sure about wide, and can't get the specs right now, will post later). My hand certainly can tell the difference; wide-fat feels great, strat causes it to cramp up within an hour. Possible that scale length and fretboard radius have some impact as well, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly the fat factor.

• Members

It around .085" at the nut and .095 at the 12th fret for the PRS.

.080" at the nut and .085" at the 12th fret for the modern C.

The Warmoth 59 Roundback has similar thickness to the PRS, but the Standard Thin will have more of the same C-shape profile curve.

But the scale is going to be the obvious factor to jump out in playability.

• Members

It around .085" at the nut and .095 at the 12th fret for the PRS.

.080" at the nut and .085" at the 12th fret for the modern C.

The Warmoth 59 Roundback has similar thickness to the PRS, but the Standard Thin will have more of the same C-shape profile curve.

But the scale is going to be the obvious factor to jump out in playability.

All of that jives with my memory of the specs - thanks!

Seems my hand is pretty sensitive to those small differences in thickness.

25" scale length is, indeed, more comfortable for me; however, I'm fine with 25.5" when the neck is thicker, but not at 24.75" or 25.5" when the neck is thinner.

• Members

I can score you 50% off of allparts if you make it worth my while.

Make it worth your while?! Sounds like a line from "The Godfather"! You mean at least a certain expenditure, right? If so, I'll keep that in mind and will PM you if I do decide to go with AllParts. Thanks!

• Members

I get 50% off everything on the site for being dealer. You just have to pay for 2 shipping charges, one to me, then one to you. And also throw in 7 dollars so I can get a chipotle burrito for lunch. A small expense when saving 50+ Dollars. :thu:

• Members

Allparts doesn't offer custom options and Warmoth does. I have quality necks from both but the Warmoth is exactly what I wanted and a joy to play.

That is true that AllParts doesn't offer the options that Warmoth does. However, if one of the options that they do offer fits the bill for you, it will be just as good as a Warmoth neck.

• Members

I get 50% off everything on the site for being dealer. You just have to pay for 2 shipping charges, one to me, then one to you. And also throw in 7 dollars so I can get a chipotle burrito for lunch. A small expense when saving 50+ Dollars.
:thu:

Got it. :thu:

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like caveman and GilmourD summarized it nicely, now a matter of sifting through the options.

Much appreciated! :wave:

• Members

Allparts doesn't offer custom options and Warmoth does. I have quality necks from both but the Warmoth is exactly what I wanted and a joy to play.

Totally agree with you, I builded my dream neck with warmoth because they are the only ones that builded step by step, this means which dots you wanna use which in my case is shark tooth, you can choose your fingerboard wood, the amount of frets, fret type an size and so on.

• Members

Totally agree with you, I builded my dream neck with warmoth because they are the only ones that builded step by step, this means which dots you wanna use which in my case is shark tooth, you can choose your fingerboard wood, the amount of frets, fret type an size and so on.

I'm not looking for a lot of unusual features. Well, I wasn't until I started sorting through the Warmoth options ("Shark tooth... yeah, I could get with that!" Guess we'll see.

GilmourD: I like a nice headstock, but I'm not picky about them, and it actually never occurred to me until you asked. Figured it'd be Fenderesque, but beyond that... I think that any of the typical options from these companies will do the job for me, but I'll take a closer look tonight.

billybilly: Thanks for that, definitely near/at the top of my list now!

• Members

I'm not looking for a lot of unusual features. Well, I wasn't until I started sorting through the Warmoth options ("Shark tooth... yeah, I could get with that!" Guess we'll see.

GilmourD: I like a nice headstock, but I'm not picky about them, and it actually never occurred to me until you asked. Figured it'd be Fenderesque, but beyond that... I think that any of the typical options from these companies will do the job for me, but I'll take a closer look tonight.

billybilly: Thanks for that, definitely near/at the top of my list now!

If you don't need a exact Fender shape, also look at USA Custom Guitars. Often they'll do for free what Warmoth has upcharges for.

And I'm a big fan of Musikraft for vintage-spec option, And they offer true Fender headstock shapes.

Archived