Zachary Guitars

onelife

• Members

I was hoping to get some info from someone who has seen, played or owned one of these guitars.

I find it intriguing that he only wants to sell his guitars to someone who will actually play them as opposed to just buying one because they can afford it. Perhaps he feels like, because he has put a lot into them, they should go to someone who can pull something out of them. I dunno really - just want to find out more.

• Members

I was hoping to get some info from someone who has seen, played or owned one of these guitars.

I find it intriguing that he only wants to sell his guitars to someone who will actually play them. Perhaps he feels like, because he has put a lot into them, they should go to someone who can pull something out of them. I dunno really - just want to find out more.

I could almost see that but his attitude is so off putting and to be honest I think that it's nothing more than a ploy to create prestige in order to inflate prices based on exclusivity of a product that has zero frickin' clout. It's almost genius. Almost.

• Members

Had the chance to play one about 10 years ago. Good, but not great. He uses some very thin finishes - which is good and bad. The one I played was only a couple of years old, and looked pretty thrashed. Not in a good way. The headstock is a bit tough to get past, but a set of steinberger tuners might make it look a little better. Or not.

Cheap woods (by his own admission), cheap finishes, cheap parts, high price. Good for him if he can get away with it, but I'll pass...

• Members

The
is quite a read. Over 800 lines of ranting that screams "I need meds!" If you actually make it all the way through, you'll probably need meds yourself.

winrar

Zachary Guitars, while made well, are nowhere near the level that his rants have placed him at. Not to mention what kind of elitist crap he pulls, determining the "worthiness" of prospective owners, he's done a great job of the whole Fox News "us sane few vs everyone else" that's caustic and corrosive.

I've played one of his guitars (the pointy one-- what was it, a Z-something?). While it was well built, I didn't think it was worth the hoopla, nor did I hear any angels singing when I did play. He would probably say that's because I'm "the man, maaaaan," but, well, I'm not.

Bottom line: His designs and implementations aren't really all that far out, and there's really not that big of a difference between his guitars and most of the standardized ones out there. If you like one, good for you, I hope you enjoy your purchase, however I would never want to be associated with the maker in any way, and, frankly, I think they look like ass.

my .05

• Members

I actually agree with a LOT of what he says, but he also spews as much bull{censored} as truth. I too believe that a thin basic oil finish is the best for a guitar if your only concern is the guitar's sound; once you cover up a nice slab of raw wood in a thick finish you are pretty much killing its natural tonal qualities. His guitars also appear to be VERY well made by looking at all the highly detailed pics of each guitar (http://www.zacharyguitars.com/Currently_for_Sale.htm). I LOVE the way his guitars look as well. I HATE painted guitars and can't understand why anyone would want to cover up wood with paint.

I'm now at the point where I am no longer buying guitars but building them from raw parts....and hope to one day be building my own bodies/necks. Luckily, I've found a body builder who will build me just about anything I want for a VERY reasonable price. I know for a fact that I can assemble a better playing/sounding guitar than ANY OEM's production line regardless of the price.

• Members

The
is quite a read. Over 800 lines of ranting that screams "I need meds!" If you actually make it all the way through, you'll probably need meds yourself.

He didn't write any of that except the intro. Even says so, and each bit has the name of the author after it. Does he need meds, or did you need GLASSES?

• Members

No Idea how his guitar sound, and personaly do not care to find out. He could have built the best guitars EVER made, but his blow hard, self righteous attitude puts me off to the point where I would NEVER buy one. besides I see nothing new or original in his designs and work, nothing that brings me in. just my 2 cents.

• Members

I'll grant that the IKEA guitar is a fun concept. I also found the website entertaining, although partly for its psychopathology.

Am I missing something, or is there some inconsistency in his guitar building principles? On one hand he seems to say that choice of tonewood makes no difference on a solid-body electric (hence the IKEA guitar). But on the other hand he opposes coating the body in plastic (ie. poly) due to the effect on tone. I'm not sure how all that adds together.

Archived