How to distinguish a Squier CV from another series Squier?

tinear

• Members

Given their reputation, I'm thinking of possibly picking up one used - but how do I tell a CV from a regular Affinity, Bullet or some other Squier? Even if the seller is honest he may not have a good idea of what he's got. Are there any tell-tale indications of a CV?

• Members

a lot of the cheaper squiers use the oversized 70's headstock, or at least they used to. CV's use the normal headstock for strats. and i'm pretty sure the CVs are the only ones with the glossy neck currently. don't count the non-CV squiers out either, if you're buying used locally and you find an affinity or standard that feels right, pick it up anyway and put in some fresh electronics. there are some pretty decent ones out there, although they're few and far between compared to the average quality of the CVs

• Members

glossy neck is the easies way to recognize it. what model specificaly are you looking at is it a strat or a tele,?

all Classic vibes have a tinted glossy neck, except the lake placid blue 50s strat, which has a maple neck in clear glossy not yellowish.

the Vintage modified strats and teles also have a glossy neck, but they are not tinted, all maple for the teles, rosewood for the strats.

• Members

The CGS prefix serial lettering CV is what you want.

I'd try to avoid CY serialed Affinity strats as they are recognizably cheaper in build materials than some others

but okay I admit the pickups are good but the bridge had problems and broke strings like they were free...

The VM's from Indonesia I/C serialed are great too, or any Squier from I/C Indonesia is a good choice.

• Members

glossy neck is the easies way to recognize it. what model specificaly are you looking at is it a strat or a tele,?

all Classic vibes have a tinted glossy neck, except the lake placid blue 50s strat, which has a maple neck in clear glossy not yellowish.

the Vintage modified strats and teles also have a glossy neck, but they are not tinted, all maple for the teles, rosewood for the strats.

Probably a tele, although I may pick up a strat if I come across a good deal. Not that I need one, but, you know...

• Members

the easiest way is they say on the back "designed and backed by Fender. Crafted in China" serial # CGS*******

A more sublte way you can tell them by the overall awesomeness.

Yeah, my first thought was to say, "If you own a MIA Standard Tele and you play a current Squier and you want to take it home with you, it's a Classic Vibe. If you play a current Squier and think to yourself, 'that's not bad for the money', it's probably a Standard or an Affinity."

• Members

there are a limited number of classic vibe model/color combinations.... should be very easy to identify one if you do the slightest homework

also the CV teles have the vintage style wood mounted neck pup (no screw holes next to the neck pup on the pickguard)... I could be wrong but I think the various other squires are pickguard mounted.

edit: nm, it looks like other squiers are this way too

• Members

squier CVC is almost exactly the same as us62RI and CIJ 62RI, the only differences are the squier cvc has a 5 hole guard (which BTW is vintage correct for 1959 customs-1958/9 they were still making 5 hole, 3ply guards and 8 hole so you'll see both), The squier cvc is the only Fender (besides vintage)that has a 5 hole 3ply guard so thats a dead giveaway) and the squier has trussrod access at the nut. (and also about $1300)

Archived