Gibson Les Paul (Deluxe) serial.

BandOblivion

• Members

A small question.

I own this Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (trussrod cover) ; The previous owner claims it's a 1976. Since it has 8 digits, starting with 00.

Buy I pointed him out that I thought it should have mentioned MADE IN THE USA if it really were a 1976.

After googlin' a bit, it seemed to me that both options are open...

I've also read that during 1975 and 1977 the serials are totally {censored}ed up...

Can anyone confirm that this serial does not need an "added" MADE IN THE USA??

P1060835%20(Large).JPG

(and yes, no original tuners)

Thanks !

• Members

What's the serial number? I'll call them for you.

Though looking at the number I'm thinking it's a 2005, not a 70's guitar.

Edit - Checked with the Gutiar Dater Project and it is a 2005 (I guessed that the number is 00135228 because that's what it looks like from the pic) - http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant , MA, USA

January 13th, 2005

Production Number: 228

• Members

Thing is that some mid 1970's Gibsons had some weird Serials.

970 - 1974 (as far as I can find) didn't have Made in USA

but 1975 - 1977 is a gray zone due to the change of factory.

1977 onwards = made in the usa (as far as I can find)

Oh yes they did. "Made in the USA" was added in 1969, along with the volute and larger headstock, every production Gibson has said Made in the USA ever since.

The maple neck implies mid '75 to late '70's.

The 00 prefix on the serial number usually means 1976, but it should have been a decal, like so...

76gibser.jpg

Decals were used from mid-'75 to mid-'77. There may be a legitimate reason why the decal isn't there, and I have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the guitar, but i doubt it left the factory looking like it does now.

• Members

What's the serial number? I'll call them for you.

Though looking at the number I'm thinking it's a 2005, not a 70's guitar.

Edit - Checked with the Gutiar Dater Project and it is a 2005 (I guessed that the number is 00135228 because that's what it looks like from the pic) -

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant , MA, USA

January 13th, 2005

Production Number: 228

No, it wasn't.

A 2005 Deluxe wouldn't have a three-piece maple neck.

And they only make acoustic guitars at Bozeman.

People have to remember that Gibson didn't adapt the current serial number system until late 1977, everything before that is up in the air, and many serial numbers were repeated several times. And many '60's and '70's guitars can't be dated by serial # alone at all.

• Members

P1060829%20(Large).JPG

as u can see a Humbucking gold top is not "stock".

Thing is : Wood types are exactly the same as they should be looking...

the sticker is from a shop which calls himself an authorized gibson repair ...

mailed them for more info.

is this decal Les Paul - Deluxe superficial or stamped?

• Members

P1060829%20(Large).JPG

as u can see a Humbucking gold top is not "stock".

Thing is : Wood types are exactly the same as they should be looking

the sticker is from a shop which calls himself an authorized gibson repair ...

mailed them for more info.

is this decal Les Paul - Deluxe superficial or stamped?

It's a waterslide decal, NOT stamped.

Not much hardware on that guitar is stock. The knob's are '60's style, and is the rest gold?.

I had wondered if the neck had been refinished in the first pic, but perhaps it's just been babied.

• Members

I hope the shop recalls it, but I know for sure it's been re-finished because I've found the old add of the previous owner who said it's been refret and refinished (incl. hardware & electronics) in 2001.

Do all these guitars have the same wood types?

If the neck and headstock been sanded down that could be the reason of the missing stamp of Les Paul Deluxe ?

I think it wasn't a stock goldtop...

the humbucking routing is disputable, so that's not an issue... just the "off serial" worries me a bit...

Edit: as the holes of the tuners are refilled and nicely smooth, this has to be the case, no?

• Members

I hope the shop recalls it, but I know for sure it's been re-finished because I've found the old add of the previous owner who said it's been refret and refinished (incl. hardware & electronics) in 2001.

Do all these guitars have the same wood types?

If the neck and headstock been sanded down that could be the reason of the missing stamp of Les Paul Deluxe ?

I think it wasn't a stock goldtop...

the humbucking routing is disputable, so that's not an issue... just the "off serial" worries me a bit...

Edit: as the holes of the tuners are refilled and nicely smooth, this has to be the case, no?

It is the reason.

The serial number was stamped in at the time of the refinish then. The original factory decal would have been destroyed with the old finish was removed, it would have been difficult, if not impossible, to save it. Whomever did the refinish than stamped in the serial in a more traditional Gibson fashion.

• Members

aight, makes me happier to know that a PRS CE-24 was not traded for a copy of a Gibson.

It plays great, sound like a beast with those Seymour Duncan's in it... but there's still those tiny details which makes me doubt harder and harder.

like a Toyota MR 2 can be tuned in to a ferrari copy...

Archived