How good is the Washburn WI64?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm starting to want to get back into more electric playing, and I am looking for something cheap but decent to get my electric chops back up. I was wanting something more LP style and I do like the BFTS, and the WI64 fits the bill. I also like natural finishes over colored ones, and satin finishes over glossy, and there are a few natural satin finish WI64 on eBay. I also like the toggle switch is down near the knobs. I'm not sure if I'd like the VCC system they have on there, but if I don't it'd be simple enough to re-wire it with a more traditional LP wiring setup. I've looked up some reviews and people seem to like them, and it helps you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for the name. I was just wondering what you guys thought it.

• Members

Don't know too much abou that particular model, but I've had very good luck with Washburns in general. I currently own three of them, a Custom Shop WM3, a US made Laredo (Tele) and an import (Korean made) P290. Until very recently I also owned a Custom Shop P4 which was sold to appease my wife when I got my Les Paul Studio Lite. If you are looking for the Les Paul look in a budget axe, obviously Epiphone or perhaps Agile is the way to go. If you are looking for the sound of a Les Paul, it's really hard to beat the Korean made P2 or P290 IMO. I honestly like the sound of mine better than its big brother the P4. Very resonant warm sounding guitars and the mahogany grain is identical to the American ones. Surprisingly, the Korean made P2s used a nitro finish whereas the American models in that series did not. I imagine that Jelloman's Washburn LP must be made like that as well. Both models discontinued and hard to find.

• Members

I've avoided it (idol models I mean) based on the shape, though there are really good deals to be had on clearance ones (perhaps due to not much demand). There is a newer idol series however that has a more typical body...interesting to say the least

I like the HM types that are like an Ibanez RG.

• Members

I had one and I thought it was a really great guitar. They made this model in Korea and in Indonesia. Mine was Korean and VERY HEAVY. Another poster had an Indonesian one and said it was the lightest guitar he owned.

Sadly, I couldn't love it because it had a thin, shredder-like neck. I tried to get used to it but I couldn't.

I would seriously look into TeleTaylor's goldtop.

Here was mine:

100_1699.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

• 9 years later...

Archived