Deep Purple

philbo

• Members

I saw Deep Purple in Highland Park (north of Chicago) last weekend. They were awesome! Backed by an orchestra, with an absolutely pristine mix. The level was never more than around 90 dB, and was amazingly clean. They sounded better than I've ever heard them. Steve Morse was just jaw-dropping good! He did stuff I never imagined was possible on a guitar!

And, for a change, I didn't have any personal disasters this time. I'd seen them twice before. (The first time I was caught up in a riot, the second someone tried to rob me.) Maybe it was because the neighborhood was better...

The opening act was Ernie & the Automatics, who played some great blues-rock oriinals, then finished with a medley of Boston tunes that was note-for-note perfect. (Two of them were members of Boston).

• Members

Went there just for the show. Diana had never seen them before...

I do think they are a good band and I've heard a lot of their stuff but I've never seen them or owned any of their albums myself. When I've watched youtube clips of them from their early years I've always been dissappointed. The singer (was that Roger Glover?) always seemed zoned out and forgot lyrics while Richie Blackmore plays things all differently. Tightly knit songs with fantastic solos and arrangements like Highway Star are destroyed on stage.

It's easy to believe that now, when most musicians seem a bit more sober, they could put on a hell of a show, especially with Steve Morse.

• Moderators

When I've watched youtube clips of them from their early years I've always been dissappointed. The singer (was that Roger Glover?) always seemed zoned out and forgot lyrics...

This has all those issues ^ mentioned but it still absolutely rocks. Ian Gillan on vocals and drugs. Rough but rockin'.

[video=youtube;LRt3PIDER94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt3PIDER94&feature=fvsr

• Members

Did they do "Smoke on the Water" ?

Dan

Yes, they did pretty much the whole Machine Head album, plus a lot of older stuff ('No One Came' pops into mind). The real treat was their new stuff, which has a pretty strong Middle East music vibe, somewhat like the later stuff Zeppelin did, with the orchestra heavily involved in the arrangement. I'm convinced; I'll be picking up the newest CD soon.

• Members

Wow Ian really bites on this. But think in the studio stuff he did some great things.

Today i was on the Metropolis amp site cause this Deep Purple stuff got me all wound up. I bought a sweet jtm 45 head 'kit' there a while back for pretty cheap and it is fantastic.

I intended to get the plexi kit, next, but i went there today and there are no more kits! Damn it!

So who makes the best plexi 100 kit? Just throwin it out there.

• Members

I am going to see that show in about 20 hours at the Greek here in LA. Really stoked.

I worked on a record with Steve Morse several years back. Crazy thing about Steve is that despite being one of the greatest guitarists on the planet, he is totally cool. No ego and one of the easiest guys I ever worked with in the studio.

• Moderators

Wow Ian really bites on this.

Imagine singing like that for a profession? Tyler figured it out eventually. But man, that style is deadly on the vocal cords. Considering the era and lack of "best practices" screamo technique, he pulled it off with balls and panache.

• Members

Crazy thing about Steve is that despite being one of the greatest guitarists on the planet, he is totally cool. No ego and one of the easiest guys I ever worked with in the studio.

Everyone tends to say this about Morse. Over the course of my career, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that with few exceptions, the most talented and respected players are often among the coolest and easiest to get along with. Hmm, ya think there's a connection between not being a jerk and being successful in music? ;)

Archived