My Godin Session...

Misha

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Godin continues to kick the shit out of anything in it's price range and disprove the myths of low price "quality control" by delivering consistent high quality at that price point. And, they are built in Canada and the US (it's that "assembled in" thing). HOw do they do it?

I've used Godin guitars for over 10 years now. I bought a SD22 last year. Nice guitar. I swapped out the bridge pickup and was a bit surprised to find this:

sdemg_routing.jpg

A cavity that big, taking out that much wood has got to affect the tone and sustain. I can only imagine how much better it would sound if it were not just a big hole. I would imagine the Session is done the same way.

• Members

The Session has a smaller pickguard. The bathtub route could only be under the neck & middle single coils. The pickguard doesn't go back to the humbucker @ the bridge or the volume control etc.

I just picked up an SD22 a few days ago. Still in the honeymoon phase. I need to put on some heavier strings.

• Members

I've used Godin guitars for over 10 years now. I bought a SD22 last year. Nice guitar. I swapped out the bridge pickup and was a bit surprised to find this:

sdemg_routing.jpg

A cavity that big, taking out that much wood has got to affect the tone and sustain. I can only imagine how much better it would sound if it were not just a big hole. I would imagine the Session is done the same way.

It's a back pain relief!! ;)

Seriously, I don't know what it does to the tone but knowing how much I love my semi-acoustic, it doesn't worry me!

• Members

Agreed the Icon looks very nice. Has anyone actually played the icon??

Did you notice how the Godin site specifies a "12' inches radius neck" for the Icon but the dealers rather say it's a 16 inches radius neck ??? Other similar Godin guitars have a 16'' radius neck. Maybe they made a mistake on their website??? :confused:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinicon2convertiblep.htm

http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/product2850_2/godin-icon-type-2-convertible.aspx

• Members

Did you notice how the Godin site specifies a "12' inches radius neck" for the Icon but the dealers rather say it's a 16 inches radius neck ??? Other similar Godin guitars have a 16'' radius neck. Maybe they made a mistake on their website???
:confused:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinicon2convertiblep.htm

http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/product2850_2/godin-icon-type-2-convertible.aspx

I'm pretty sure its 16" and that's the reason I won't buy one. I owned a LGX years ago with the 16" and I never gelled with the neck. I love the 12" radius necks on the other Godin products though.

• Members

I'm pretty sure its 16" and that's the reason I won't buy one. I owned a LGX years ago with the 16" and I never gelled with the neck. I love the 12" radius necks on the other Godin products though.

Same thing here for the neck. Mine was a LG HMB, though.

I love their 12'' radius necks too. I'm not sure it would fit the Icon well, though. :confused:

Maybe an "in between" 14'' radius neck would be great!! :

• Members

I am guessing that swimming pool route on the SD's is something new to make them lighter. The older models with those silver maple bodies or whatever were so heavy they could be uncomfortable to play.

I had a SD that sounded very good and yes, it was on the heavy side...

• Members

sdemg_routing.jpg

I'm confused. Just because they REMOVE the wood, doesn't mean that the price should be cheaper...they had to start with the full body blank. And as for the tone? Godin's sound great...do they not?

:)

• Members

Hey Misha,

I'm seriously considering buying a Session and have a couple of questions. How was the action set up up out of the box? I like the action a little low but am a little concerned about changing it myself; strat style guitars are a little harder to change the action on in my opinion. Of course I'm lazy :). How is the tremolo bar? Does the guitar stay in tune when using it? Most importantly is the tone, is it dark or bright? When you split the humbucker on the bridge how does it sound? I've often found that split coils set ups tend to be a little darker than a normal strat, whichis understandable. How is the accees on the upper frets?

I've had a couple of Godins before and loved them, unfortunately had to sell them....damn divorce! Anyway, I'm looking for something that is flexible enough to be able to play most type of tones out there from classic strat sounds to more humbucking sounds. Given my experience with Godins is the past and the price point on the Session, this sure looks to be a winner. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Members

Hey Misha,

I'm seriously considering buying a Session and have a couple of questions. How was the action set up up out of the box? I like the action a little low but am a little concerned about changing it myself; strat style guitars are a little harder to change the action on in my opinion. Of course I'm lazy
:)
. How is the tremolo bar? Does the guitar stay in tune when using it? Most importantly is the tone, is it dark or bright? When you split the humbucker on the bridge how does it sound? I've often found that split coils set ups tend to be a little darker than a normal strat, whichis understandable. How is the accees on the upper frets?

I've had a couple of Godins before and loved them, unfortunately had to sell them....damn divorce! Anyway, I'm looking for something that is flexible enough to be able to play most type of tones out there from classic strat sounds to more humbucking sounds. Given my experience with Godins is the past and the price point on the Session, this sure looks to be a winner. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi!

Somehow, I managed to miss this post yesterday! :confused:

My Godin Session came set up very nicely with low action. I even asked the shop owner if he did the setup himself on it, he said he didn't touch it and agreed the action was really nice! The trem was not floating. I haven't touch it. It just sounds too good.

I tried several Sessions before. They all had low action and played well, out of the box.

Usually the first thing I do when I get a new guitar, is change the strings. I didn't with that one. They were brand new and it sounded too good to change anything.

The strings weren't stretched and I've had to do it myself just like when I put new strings on. At first, I was worry it wouldn't stay in tune well but after stretching the strings and playing the guitar for a day or two, it seems to stay in tune just fine.

The trem is set straight so it doesn't pull the strings hard enough to put the guitar out of tune, IMO. I hope it will be as reliable if I set the trem floating. Someone said that it should, at least his does!

The access to the upper frets is going to be very similar to a Strat. The body contour is a bit different (where the elbow rests) but it feels very Straty!

The sound may be a bit darker than a Strat, but it's rich and well balanced. I'd say it's warmer more than darker.

I like the humbucker, split or not. Is the split humbucker darker than the bridge single coil of a Strat? It's indeed darker than the Vintage Noiseless SC bridge pickup in my Strat but it's all good because I think my Vintage Noiseless bridge pickup sounds too thin and glassy.

It's a bit hard to describe the sound of a guitar because there are so many different pickups in so many different Strats, possibly, nobody has the same references in mind.

I'll try to post clips. You'll get a much better idea!

My stock Session sounds at least as good as my CP '60s Strat and even my MIA Tele with its upgraded (Wilde-Bill Lawrence) noisefree pickups.

I almost bought a Session with a maple neck, last summer. I didn't after comparing it to my Tele. I think my Tele sounded better than that Session with the maple neck, but my new Session with a rosewood neck do sound better to me than my Tele.

I tried several Sessions and they all seem very consistent, but maybe I have one that is even better or I have a marked preference for rosewood fretboards (it used to be the opposite).

I hope it helps!

:wave:

• Members

I emailed Godin about the Icon series.

They told me the Icons have a 12'' radius neck! :cool:

Salut Suzie,

Les mod

• Members

Misha,

Thanks for the excellent reply, I really appreciate it. You should get a commission from Godin cause I'm gonna order one my next commission check :). Now I need to decide on the color and the neck, leaning to the maple neck cause I like that look on a strat style guitar, but you may have talked me out of it. Any clips would be great, really appreciate it.

• Members
I see you on the archtop but, as for the Firebird X, I'd rather take one of these, thanks.

godinsiglgxsacognac.jpg

Looks a LOT better than the Firebird X and most likely plays better, too. And how's Godin's QC compared to Gibson's?

Those are awesome. The piezo's really, really nice for a solidbody.

• Members

What I don't understand about Godin is their pricing structure. The SD, Freeway Classic, Progression, and Velocity are all pretty much the same guitar as far as raw parts go:

Rock Maple neck

Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard

Contoured Silver Leaf Maple body with poplar wings

Godin-Design pickups

The only difference between the SD and the Freeway Classic is body shape and scale length. Yet the SD sells for about $500 and the FC for about $625. The Progression adds the HDR and sells for $800. The Velocity basically adds the HDR and a Duncan brand bridge pickup and sells for $900. That would mean they consider the HDR to be worth $200-$300 by itself.

I just don't understand the huge price disparity been models that are so similar. Maybe its that they are made and assembled in different locations. I know they have several manufacturing facilities.

• Members

I can't talk about the prices outside of Canada. Maybe, we can get better deals in Quebec, Canada since the company is based here...

I got my Session for ~ 400$ CAD + txes. ( I did a trade.)

These sites list several Godins: (We usually get better deals in person!)

In Montreal, Qc, Canada: http://www.nantelmusique.ca/catalog.aspx?cid=2&p=0&mid=8?=en

In Montreal, Qc, Canada: http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=godin

In Ontario, Canada: http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=godin

The best deals for Godin guitars in Montreal are at this place: www.audiomanie.com it's a small mom & pop shop though and they just list a few of their products online.

• Members

Some Tests:

Godin Session Test 1: Neck + Middle pickups only and Boss ME-25

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10260824

[ATTACH]331570[/ATTACH]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Godin Session test 2: Neck pickup only tone rolled off and Boss ME-25

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10260864

[ATTACH]331571[/ATTACH]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Godin Session Test 3: Middle pickup only; Boss ME-25

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10260898

[ATTACH]331580[/ATTACH]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Godin Session Test 4: Position 4 (starting from the left (??)). Middle + Humbucker (I think...)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10260935

[ATTACH]331581[/ATTACH]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one may not sound good. I'm listening to it through either my computer's speakers or headphones while I'm doing it...)

Godin Session Test 5: Bridge Humbucker (Not split)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10260994

[ATTACH]331582[/ATTACH]

• Members

Those clips sound nice for sure, but I don't know if I like the overall bright tone of godin single coils. I know it's godin's tastes, and it sure sounds like a godin.

That's why clips are useful, often: you know wether you'll like a guitar or not! At least, it gives an idea.

This guy's a much better player than me, I also like the sound he got in this video!

[video=youtube;OX3DZj2TEhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3DZj2TEhE

Archived