Most versatile pickup combo for an H-H guitar

Anyparktos

• Members

For the record, in a band mix is where I didn't like the JB. I never judge the tone of anything unless I try it at practice first.

Oh, it cut through the mix, but more like a big pustule on someone's nose cuts through a conversation. Kinda like:

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HEEEEEEEEY!!!!!! YOU GUYS CAN HEAR ME RIGHT?!?!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

6a00d8341c9cc153ef010535fa187d970b-200wi

Some people like it though so, :idk: Just don't be thinkin I haven't used it in a band setting. I did for over a year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So...I haven't bought the guitar yet,i've saved some money and i'll probably won't buy it for another say...two weeks-a month.I've been reading various opinions around and i've decided to have a duncan custom for the bridge(so i can play metal too amongst other stuff).For convenience i repeat the basic specs of the guitar here:maple top mahogany strat-style body,mahogany set-neck with rosewood fretboard and 25.5" scale(24 frets).Right now i'm wondering if combining a p-rail neck with a custom bridge is worth it(i'll probably have enough money for the triple shot too if i keep saving now).I like what i've heard from samples and i'd like p-90 and single coil tones for the generally more clean-oriented neck.My questions:

a)I've heard the rail alone is pretty weak,nigh-unusable in the p-rails

b)I'm wondering if a p-rail would combine well with the custom in the middle setting.I'm pretty sure there's gotta be a huge asymmetry in sound in p-90 mode + split custom in the middle setting so i'll probably avoid that but i don't know if it would work on other settings too.If anyone has tried this or something similar(i've seen a guy put a p-rail neck with a distortion bridge in an ibanez) it would help a lot to share his/her experience.Any educated guesses will do too.

My alternatives are either a 59 or an alnico 2 for the neck(without triple shot and with a single push/pull for both splits which would be much cheaper).

• Members

I would try the stock EMGs. You may find that you like them. If not, look at some other EMG passive models. EMGs are very easy to replace and would not require a full rewire. And, like any pickup, it's a love/hate relationship. I know people that love the EMG HZ's. And I know others that hate them. But EMG pickups do have a decent reputation and are worth checking out.

• Members

About the stock emgs...I'm gonna move them to another guitar (cheaper) so it's not that i'm not using them at all.Also,the specs i found on EMG's site about resonant frequency give 1.96 and 1.35 khz neck and bridge respectively.That is,quite literally,one third of the worst SD's got to offer keeping in mind that resonant frequency signifies clarity.I'd prefer to buy them all in one go too so i can get a discount and not pay shipping costs.

Basically,it would be helpful if you could answer the questions in my previous post.

• Members

I've recently gone to a SD Hot-rodded set. The Jazz on the neck is sweet and clean; The JB on the bridge works for most types of playing. And the coil-splitting on the SD's is effective, whereas with some others it just sounds like a half a humbucker.

If you're into the more heavy music, a DiMarzio PAF on the neck and Super Distortion on the bridge are a pretty good combo. Had these for YEARS on various guitars. The Super Distortion hits like a HAMMER into a decent amp.

Archived