MY SECOND GUILD BLADERUNNER

darthyahya

• Members

That's correct- If you have the first one it should have a dozen autographs on it-

Joe wanted Red I think and all they had was white and black and pink at that time. I think Whitford said "Yech" when i showed up with it.

Jay

too bad it was so heavily moddified. id have a very expensive piece of history. im restoring it now. do you reccommend original paint scheme or should i just paint it whatever. Man if I could get it autographed again by some people, including Joe and the band. WOW!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah, the 80's Guild electrics. The Detonator (one of the first 100) with Dimarzios and ABM was my first good guitar. Remarkably restrained design for the era -- just the red flaked finish marked it. I think I was leaning Aviator first with the Kahler and pointy headstock, but I couldn't get on with the EMG's it was loaded with.

• Members

I actually really like this guitar.

I think it's super cool.

Congrats man!

Say, how light is it?

Man, i havent weighed it yet but it is SUPER Light! Its stripped down right now. no paint, no hardware. lighter than a baseball bat! awesome! I cant wait to get it finished and I cant wait for the second one to arrive next friday.

ill post pics etc soon.

• Members

Yeah, like what the hell happened to the Bluesbird, Polara, etc? And, why did Dearmond guitars go away?

Did Gibson threaten Guild / Fender with lawsuits or something???

I think there was already a lawsuit against the Bluesbird earlier.

Dearmond guitars have been rebranded as Squiers for a year, before the whole line stopped.

They had the brilliant idea that Guild guitars would compete against their newly acquired Gretsch brand. FMIC considered the Gretsch as a more valuable brand name, so here we are.

Pro Jet =/=Bluesbird....

Nashville =/= X-500

:-S

I have a AAA Bluesbird (...and 2 Gretsches too...)

• Members

Yo thanx Fam. This is what started it all for me. the G.A.S. problem everything. I remember buying a vintage SG and vintage Marshall tube head and cab and being so disappointed when I didnt sound anything like Angus Young.LOL! But I'm keeping at it.

• Members

I'd love to see some pics of the project...HNGD

Ive been snapping shots every now and then. Right now I have the body restored and primed 3 coats. I can spot putty now and sand and prime again but ill probably just sand and spray with color cause im getting tired and bored. idaknow. after four coats of paint and 10-25 coats of clear id will be done. then there's the months of curing before i can sand from 600-2000 grit and polish. lots of work left. thats why im glad im blessed to have a nother one coming friday GOD willing, to play on till this ones ready. maybe ill go ahead and to it right eh?

• Members

That's correct- If you have the first one it should have a dozen autographs on it-

Joe wanted Red I think and all they had was white and black and pink at that time. I think Whitford said "Yech" when i showed up with it.

Jay

you realize ofcourse that someone modded the guitar so much it was a completely different guitar when i got it. in addition to the routing work it was then repainted on top of the original paint. i had to strip it down completely to start the restore work. I know each one had a slightly different paint scheme. for example, the beige/red model had a different design in the center then the pink. som didnt even have "bladerunner" on it, just the "Guild" logo in script on the body's lower bout. do you have any pics of them?

thanx in advance

• Members

you realize ofcourse that someone modded the guitar so much it was a completely different guitar when i got it. in addition to the routing work it was then repainted on top of the original paint. i had to strip it down completely to start the restore work. I know each one had a slightly different paint scheme. for example, the beige/red model had a different design in the center then the pink. som didnt even have "bladerunner" on it, just the "Guild" logo in script on the body's lower bout. do you have any pics of them?

thanx in advance

I'm sure I have 4x5 Transparencies I shot of all of the various paint schemes for one of the Guild catalogs I did- nothing digital I can share in the near future I'm afraid.

Jay

• Members

I'm sure I have 4x5 Transparencies I shot of all of the various paint schemes for one of the Guild catalogs I did- nothing digital I can share in the near future I'm afraid.

Jay

sure i understand. I decicded on a dark red for the body and black in the cutouts. im doing final prep and another two coats of primer then 4-5 coats of red and black as applicable and 10 coats of clear. ill start a new BLADERUNNER RESTO PROJECT with pics. I hope i can keep you and the guys interested. maybe one day you can send me some scans or something. thanx

• Members

I have started a new thread in the DIY section. It contains a link to my blog where i am doing a restoration of my Guild Bladerunner.

it is here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34582950#post34582950

anyone interested in seeing some pics can find it on the blog until I can figure out how to post high res photos some where.

thanx in advance

• Members

darth -- Nice blast from the past. Question: Do those guitars actually have any sustain?

Cant really say until either the first one is restored or the second one arrives on friday. but as soon as I know, you will know!

thanx

• Members

finished it last night and strung it up. the kahler bridge saddles had to be adjusted really high. one saddlle had a bent screw so thank goodness i had a spare one. plays and sounds like butter. i didnt clear coat the guitar but after the paint hardened I compounded it out and it shines like glass. I imagine if i did clear coat it you would need sunglasses to be in the same room with it. LOL Ill post pics later.

Archived