Newbie guitar wiring / assembly questions

mmmiddle

• Members

After many years of playing guitar I am actually going to try assembling my own strat. I have some newb questions:

1. What gauges of wire is acceptable to use? At Radio Shack I found some 22-gauge "stranded hookup wire" would this be ok?

2. Is it going to be easy to install the tremolo bridge? What are some things I should watch out for here? I have actually never had a tremolo on any guitar. The bridge and guitar body I purchased are both from Guitarfetish.

I may have other questions but that is it for now.

• Members

That wire is fine. I would use shielded wire from the vol control to the output jack though.

If the body is pre-drilled, not a problem.

Lining up and drilling holes for a trem can be tricky. I helped someone do it last year and either through incredible luck, or good planning, we got it right the first time.

• Members

That wire is fine. I would use shielded wire from the vol control to the output jack though.

If the body is pre-drilled, not a problem.

Lining up and drilling holes for a trem can be tricky. I helped someone do it last year and either through incredible luck, or good planning, we got it right the first time.

Yeah I don't know if the trem holes are pre-drilled. I guess I'll have to wait until March 1 to find out. That's when the shipment is scheduled to arrive.

• Members

So the body is not pre-drilled. Yikes! I do not have a drill press either. Maybe someone I know does. But the question I have now is how in the world do you drill those holes in the rear cavity for the tremolo "claw"? It looks like they are drilled into the upper edge of the cavity.

Archived