Tubes or Modeler - How about both?

onelife

• Members

I've just been playing around with Amplitube through an "Ultralinear" Super Reverb from the late 70s via a Stealth Pedal and it sounds quite nice.

These big silverface monsters have a bit of a bad reputation but what can be wrong with 60 or 70 watts of clean Fender power into four tens? The amp sounds good by itself with single coils and humbuckers - a nice, rich and powerful clean.

With todays pedals and modelers I thought it would be nice to test the amp in some modern settings. I have been successfully using a Boss ME-25 with a silverface Princeton Reverb for a while now and the ME-25 sounds even better through the Super.

With Amplitube it really shines. The complex harmonics generated by the models get amplified as you would expect them to in a mutli-stage all tube environment and come out of the amp via the output transformer/speaker combination.

Truly the best of both worlds.

Now if I can just find someone to lug the Super for me - I really thought the days of big amps were over until I found this thing.

• Members

I have a Boss GT-10, that I use looped into my Fender Deville. It has a nice Marshall Guv'nor sampled, and I set the pedal up to basically operate as a series of stomp boxes. I don't like how the modeled amp tones sound thru the Fender, so I never use them, but for smaller gigs, I will use the modeled Bassman setting directly into my H-K solid-state amp.

• Members

What I was thinking is along the lines of Craig's thread on recording the DX7 to analog tape where the characteristics of the tape softened the 'digital' sound of the synth.

Running the Boss ME-25 thru the big tube amp actually brings the COSM preamps to life and the models from Amplitube get nice and round sounding (if that makes any sense). I have not tried to compare the Amplitube patches to their real life counterparts and I don't care about that. All I want are good solid usable and dynamic guitar sounds.

The flexibility of Amplitube and other digital products combined with valves controlling the flow of electric current through the speakers in a large cabinet really seems to be the answer for me. I'll know in a couple of weeks after lugging this setup around for a while if it is worth it.

• Members

I've written about this in past, specifically about using modelers, bypassing the amp/cab, and feeding a real amp/cab...and the reverse, using something like a tube preamp and feeding it into a modeled cab. For bass in particular, it's great to have a tube front end with a nice compressor, then feed it into two cab emulations to get a "stacked" sound.

Whatever it takes!

• Members

When I bypassed the cabinet emulation on Amplitube the sound coming out of the amplifier got a bit brittle. I'm feeding the guitar input on the Super Reverb with the signal from a Stealth Pedal and keeping the output of the pedal down to guitar levels. Using the cabinet emulation provided a more workable sound but that may be because the "Ultralinear" Fender Amp is not really all that linear and adds considerable upper mid honk to the signal.

• Members

When I bypassed the cabinet emulation on Amplitube the sound coming out of the amplifier got a bit brittle. I'm feeding the guitar input on the Super Reverb with the signal from a Stealth Pedal and keeping the output of the pedal down to guitar levels. Using the cabinet emulation provided a more workable sound but that may be because the "Ultralinear" Fender Amp is not really all that linear and adds considerable upper mid honk to the signal.

Well you see...you get it. Why be doctrinaire when you can try a bunch of different things, and decide what you like best? :thu:

Archived