How difficult to cut a pickguard? Tools needed?

richey888

• Members

Thinking of making my own from this:

Any advice is appreciated! How to make the initial cut? Finishing off? Dremel? I don't have a jigsaw.....thanks again.

Dremel could work if your hand is real steady.

I would think that the following is needed:

Jigsaw

Belt Sander

Dremel

Drill press

• Members

I think it is difficult. I have butchered many. Keep the tool speed slow. If the speed is too high on the dremel the plastic melts and globs up. I am trying to build up confidence to cut a middle pickup hole in a HH strat pickguard. I am sure it will turn out {censored}ty.

• Members

Thinking of making my own from this:

Any advice is appreciated! How to make the initial cut? Finishing off? Dremel? I don't have a jigsaw.....thanks again.

Thanks for posting this Richey, i'll be watching this thread closely for advice too. I was looking to do the same thing, although i have beenput off the idea. A buddy of mines had attempted to cut just a small pickguard panel over his control plate, to cover up a slight body flaw, it looks ok imo, but he isn't impressed with it, and said it was a total nightmare to do. And this was just an oval piece with holes for pots and switches.

I think im gonna send a templete to terrapin pickguards instead. I aint got the toolz

• Members

How to make the initial cut? Finishing off? Dremel? I don't have a jigsaw.....thanks again.

Go to a Harbor Freight (or Northern Tools) for the lowest marked up tools.

Tools I use:

1. an inexpensive hand-held jigsaw/scroll saw (like, US $15) with a finer blade (more TPI):

image_9255.jpg

2. You need a number of clamps to hold you piece to a table top. You would mark off the outline with a sharpie; ir you back ply is white, you are in a really good position:

image_675.jpg

3. Though I have a router, I noticed that none of my beveled bits could make the bevel I wanted, so I use an upright sander and, holding the cutout pickguard in my hands, bevel with the top rounded part of the sander:

image_2834.jpg

4. This wierd tool, which is often on sale for about US $15, can make the fine adjustments on the pickup cutouts when you need to remove like 1/16 of an inch:

image_2452.jpg

Well, that's a lot of tools, but I already have them. With just the hand-held scroll saw you should be able to come close - but you need a sanding or grinding tool to complete the bevel. Then, when drilling the screw holes, you will also want a countersink bit (a few bucks, too) to make the screws sit more flush.

As someone else said, too high a speed such as a one-speed dremel can deliver, will cause melting, which is not a small problem.

Greg

• Members

Here is a thread I made years ago on how to quickly make a new guard.
)

Great tutorial atrox. It's amazing what you can do with some simple hand tools. The band saw could easily be replaced with a coping saw, and the belt sander could be replaced with a sanding block and some sandpaper for a no power tools method. It would just take longer.

• Members

Great tutorial atrox. It's amazing what you can do with some simple hand tools. The band saw could easily be replaced with a coping saw, and the belt sander could be replaced with a sanding block and some sandpaper for a no power tools method. It would just take longer.

Thanks. I have that small bandsaw for pickguards only. The big bandsaw is too harsh for the pickguard material. A coping saw would be perfect

• Members

I make a template out of plywood, then use a laminate trimmer bit in a router. I can never cut around the pickups good enough. I leave the pickguard material long there, and heat the pickguard with a heat gun, from the back, and cut with a utility knife.

• Members

If you're only cutting one, just rough cut it with a coping saw by hand, then go rent a router from Home Depot and use a 45 degree angled bit. Go to Stewmac and they have directions on how to cut it. This makes it easy for you.

Just remember to cut out the template first or you will not get a nice job no matter how steady a hand you have.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Pickguards/i-5243.html

Archived