Anyone use a gig bag with an ES-335?

Faber

• Members

either now or in the past? Then I'd like to hear your experience with that, and pros and cons in general.

It would make things a lot easier for me if I could get around for band practice and gigs by bicycle, so I'm considering getting a sturdy gig bag or some kind of soft case with shoulder straps. I do this all the time with strats and it would be nice to have the same flexibility with my semis. I'm not sure whether those are sturdy enough that I'd trust them to survive in a gig bag - otoh I could simply refrain from banging the guitar into things, and everything should be fine. I suppose.

• Members

I have a Ultimate Support gig bag that I use with my Epiphone Dot. That should be about the same size as a 335. It works well for me. The guitar just fits in it. I know lots of people that use gig bags with acoustic guitars with no problems. Many of them live in Chicago and don't own cars. So they often have the gig bag strapped to their back while biking.

• Members

I thought gig bags were pretty cool, but the bottom edge of my strat looks like it was carved by fred flintstone. I have one for my mexican P-bass and the set up n that one goes to {censored} in no time. I have to say that I wouldn't risk a 335 in a gig bag. I think it's a heartbreak waiting to happen.

• Members

Holy shit... Don't try this at home! You might hit someone in the head :D

Anyway, I have the standard bag the MiM Strats come in and it does the job but I don't use it much and am pretty careful.

If I did do gigs and carry it around, I'd probably either get a bag like that or a hardcase.

Actually... Strats look better with pieces missing :D

• Members

It would make things a lot easier for me if I could get around for band practice and gigs by bicycle,

How are you gonna haul your amp?

And what about the rest of the band gear? Is making things easier on you just a function of passing off your share of the gear-hauling responsibilities onto the rest of your bandmates? As long as they're OK with that, and you kick in for gas money now and then, I guess ...

I have no problem with putting a bolt-neck or a sub-$1000 guitar in a gig bag. An expensive Gibson, on the other hand, I wouldn't risk the breakage. You could fall off your bike, for instance.

• Members

Yeah, I'm in the "get a case" camp just because a case is so much more protection for not a TON of money. I never make an exception for this rule.

But that's just me. I also see punkkitty's point about transportation. If you're on a bicycle and you have to strap it to your back, the gig bag is pretty much your only option. Sure, you could fall off and damage the guitar but if that's your only choice, it's your only choice. Bare minimum: Invest in one of the sturdier gig bags. (also: Don't be brave enough to chuck a semi-hollow off a building's roof top ;) )

• Members

If your on a bike, you'd probably want a slab guitar, they'll hold together much better than a semi.

Or maybe you could get one of those big-ass surfboard racks that fit on a bike, and modify it to hold a hardshell case with some extra straps to keep it secure. Still would be apprehensive about a crash, though.

• Members

I only use gig bags. I do have hard cases for my best guitars ('335 included), but gig bags have a lot more storage for the stuff that might become necessary. I have a Levy's leather bag for my solid bodies and a great larger Roadrunner bag that my '335 fits in.

Of course I am transporting my own guitars, so the gig bag's primary duty is to protect from rain and superficial nicks, but I have been gig baggin' for over 5 years with no horror stories.

• Members

How are you gonna haul your amp?

And what about the rest of the band gear? Is making things easier on
you
just a function of passing off your share of the gear-hauling responsibilities onto the rest of your bandmates? As long as they're OK with that, and you kick in for gas money now and then, I guess ...

I have no problem with putting a bolt-neck or a sub-$1000 guitar in a gig bag. An expensive Gibson, on the other hand, I wouldn't risk the breakage. You could fall off your bike, for instance.

Believe me, I haul my part and then some.

Of course, getting gear around isn't much of an issue for band practice - what is an isssue is that I have the choice of either a 30 min bike ride, or a 60 min public ride with public transport, including 1 train and 2 busses.

As for gigs, I'd be much more likely to case it (I have a case) for the actual gig, were we might have to throw everything in the back of a van. One band often set up and break down the day before and after a gig as that one plays company functions and the like where the people that book us don't care for any intrusions what with gear hauling etc.

As for the other band, it's got a semi steady gig at a bar where I can leave an amp from one gig to the next.

As for the thread in general - it may be that a case is the only way to go. Thanks for chiming in.

Archived