Chords for I don't need no doctor (Mayer/Scofield)

pianoboy3333

• Members

Does anyone know backing chords for the cover of I don't need no doctor that John Mayer did with John Scofield? I've seen Mayer's backup band playing them live and was wondering if anyone knew what they were. I'm not talking about the jazz chords Mayer plays himself, I'm talking about the chords the backing band plays while Mayer plays the main riff.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Okay, I spent some time with the Scofield/Mayer version and here's what I have for the infamous four chord turnaround:

C# half diminished, D11, Em9/C, A11-B11

Here are the voicings I'm using:

For the C# hd, I'm playing C#, B, E, G. It could also be viewed as an Em over C#.

For the D11, I'm voicing it D (open), C, G, B

Em9/C is C, F#, G, D, E

A11: A (thumb over top), G, B, D, A

B11: Same structure as A11, two frets up the neck...

Hope this helps!!

PBJ,

Du

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

My guess is that he joined a long time ago, googled this song name (or something similar coming up with this thread, and posted.

That's how I just found it...

By the way, I also recently found a cool site that you can look up any chord and it will show you the guitar chord symbol with all the inversions:

http://jguitar.com/chord

Check it out...

• Members

Interesting, very old thread. I love this song, though. One of my bands covers this tune (not completely correctly either). I use an approximation of what's written here. I just played it by ear during rehearsal one day, and it stuck. I'd post a video, but I have self respect :lol:

• 8 years later...

Archived