Gibson SG 61 RI. Would you hit it?

joshmac

• Members

for $1000. :) Im really thinkin about grabbing this one at a shop near me. Just came into the used department, REALLY good condition. Fuck I likes me the sound of an SG

zslane-albums-my-gear-picture27573-2005-

God dayum. Classic look, maybe a bit overplayed but who cares. Talk me into or out of this purchase.

• Members

for $1000.
:)
Im really thinkin about grabbing this one at a shop near me. Just came into the used department, REALLY good condition. Fuck I likes me the sound of an SG

zslane-albums-my-gear-picture27573-2005-

God dayum. Classic look, maybe a bit overplayed but who cares. Talk me into or out of this purchase.

If it looks that good at that price I wouldn't think another minute about it

...after I checked it out thoroughly.

That's a $1999 SG there in the normal price of things

• Members

I think I'd check out that skinny 61 SG neck joint very thoroughly first thing for cracking. Next, I'd check to see if it's a chinese knockoff.

Otherwise, hellz yeah, 1000CAD is a very good deal for a nice SG like that one if it is in at least 85/100 condition.

• Members

I think I'd check out that
skinny 61 SG neck joint
very thoroughly first thing for cracking. Next, I'd check to see if it's a chinese knockoff.

Otherwise, hellz yeah, 1000CAD is a very good deal for a nice SG like that one if it is in at least 85/100 condition.

Oh, this model has the skinny neck. I'd pass in favor of a chunkier neck. Sweet looker though.

• Members

I think I'd check out that
skinny 61 SG neck joint
very thoroughly first thing for cracking. Next, I'd check to see if it's a chinese knockoff.

+1

• Members

That is a good price. I own one myself and about the only advice I'd give you is just to make sure before you buy it that that is the SG you want. The '61 RI has a bit more of a brighter sound than the Specials or Standards so don't necessary think of the '61 being "better" than the Specials or Standards just because it's higher up the price scale, but think of it also as being "different". But in the "better" category, I've noticed with mine that the mahogany they used for it is more figured which is aesthetically pleasing.

• Members

That is a good price. I own one myself and about the only advice I'd give you is just to make sure before you buy it that that is the SG you want. The '61 RI has a bit more of a brighter sound than the Specials or Standards so don't necessary think of the '61 being "better" than the Specials or Standards just because it's higher up the price scale, but think of it also as being "different". But in the "better" category, I've noticed with mine that the mahogany they used for it is more figured which is aesthetically pleasing.

That is an interesting point you make there. It makes me think of Derek Trucks, who plays a modified reissue I believe. He never leaves the neck pickup, but it certainly doesn't sound that way a lot of the time, being particularly bright.

• Members

That is an interesting point you make there. It makes me think of Derek Trucks, who plays a modified reissue I believe. He never leaves the neck pickup, but it certainly doesn't sound that way a lot of the time, being particularly bright.

Yeah, the last time I was A/B'ing my SGs, I believe I noticed that the '61 was a bit of a thinner slab (that plus the '57s gives it some top end fo sho). I didn't take measurements and can't find any specs on the web, but that was how it felt. I compared it against my Specials, Classic, Standard and Diablo. For me, tone-wise, the Diablo was the winner with the BB 1 & 2 combo.

Lately I've actually been loving my recent Epi G-400 with Maestro which I put a couple of BB Pros into. Man, that guitar has some vibe. Take some mediocre grade of mahogany, throw some extra tackle on there (i.e. the Maestro) with the punchy, chimey BB Pros and the end result is really pretty cool. I got the idea from the second (silver) version of the Diablo that used the "Pros" and another Gibson figured top SG that also used them. I'd recommend that to modders that are willing to go for more vibe and chime than depth. Besides the BBs, dang, I tend to like the 490R/409T combo for its more classic rock tone. But then again, so much of it depends upon the amp and style of play. But I need to get my '61 back out again. It's been a while.

Archived