Been looking at Jazzmasters, but what do I really want?

Fluttershy

• Members

what's your price range? if you want single coil and tremolo arm, well, there's a reason strats are so popular.

if you want an offset and a trem, and jazzmasters and jaguars are too heavy, well, the choice becomes pretty simple.. mustang.

DV016_Jpg_Large_512763.215_olympic_white

65 reissue... I think these are made in japan. correct me if I'm wrong. japanese fenders generally are godly.

it's $940 on MF but I wouldn't pay more than $750 for it. if you ask any major retailer like music 123 if they'll sell you one for $750 there's a good chance they'll go for it -- based on my experience in the past.

Oh absolutely. I've had two Jaguars now (one CIJ, one MIM), three Mustangs (two '65 and one '69 reissue).

Let's just say that the '65 Mustang is amazing, might be my favorite new guitar that Fender offers here in the States. It's small, light, and has great pickups. If you want to go another direction, it takes standard Strat pickups so that's great, too. The bridge is vintage correct where the '69 wasn't, and it just rules.

You can often find them for pretty cheap.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah I had a Jaguar and I never could enjoy it because of the neck. Its not so much 24" is bad but that 25.5" is just dreamy. On paper 24" is 'not that much different' but in practice it can be. Hell look at fret size, half a mm can really piss me off.

• Members

I feel a very significant difference between 24 and 25 1/.2....not so much between 24.75 and 25.5. Switch from a Jazzmaster to a Jaguar and the Jaguar feels like a toy.

That's because Jazzmasters are ridiculously large. I don't feel much of a difference switching between, say, my HK Strat and my Mustang, and in fact, I think the Mustang's heavier.

• Members

That's because Jazzmasters are ridiculously large. I don't feel much of a difference switching between, say, my HK Strat and my Mustang, and in fact, I think the Mustang's heavier.

Strats and Jazzmasters are the same scale size so in terms of the feel of the neck there should be no inherent differecne, but they do feel bigger on your body I don't deny that.

• Members

Never put much thought into Gretsch... could be an idea. A bit too country for m though.

And as I believe I said earlier, my budget is around $500 or 500 euros. Looking mainly second hand, but if I can get something awesome new that'd be great too.

• Members

Well, switching from a Strat to a Jaguar doesn't make the Jag feel like a toy, in fact, the Jag is far more substantial.

A Jazzmaster makes Strats feel like toys, too.

I really, really dislike this "it's one fret shorter so it feels like a toy" sentiment that people like to spread. It really feels no different from taking your favorite song and playing it one fret higher. Does that really feel like a toy to you? Maybe it does, but I really can't think that the different is that huge. I have 24", 24.75", 25.5" scale guitars. I barely know the difference when I'm playing one or another.

• Members

I'm not sure if "toy" is good or bad or nothing, but I had a japanese jag HH for a short time and even though the scale length makes the strings feel a bit more slinky, the actual guitar itself felt much more substantial (because of how big and solid it is) than a strat or tele and it wreaked of quality.

• Members

I think they have sold out most colors...check their website out for the story, but for now thay have halted production and only selling remaining MIK inventory. SUPPOSEDLY they will be producing instruments stateside later this year, but don't expect to even sniff one at two bills.

BTW this is basically just a basswood strat with a JM shape. Still a cool concept (IMO). I modded mine to make it even more unique. :idk:

• Members

looks like they have some of those utopias left, in sunburst, and in white.

http://maldenguitars.com/store.htm

store_utopia_ow.jpg

if you're in the mood to spend as little as possible, it may be worth a shot in the dark, given the positive reviews they're getting around here.

I don't know a thing about them. $200? what were they originally "supposed" to be priced at? how fat/skinny is the neck? what level of quality are we talking here?

and though $200 is still a relatively low investment, I'm expecting the resell value to be basically nothing.

p.s. it's $233 with shipping... that kinda pushed me back onto my side of the fence. :)

• Members

Thinking I may do something crazy with this if I get one... Lace Sensor in Neck, mini Hum in middle and Lipstick in bridge.... hohoho

I'd rather get the Liquid really though for the P90s.

I'm not sure I like the Bodyshape though. I'd like the Sunburst ideally but it looks kind of bad. If I was getting it, I'd get the white.

• Members
bestbuyRTS-1.jpg

I know you said you wanted a trem, but I'm def getting my $$ worth out of the Squier VM JM. On the Offest or Squier forum, a guy added one to his, just a great neck and nails the JM vibe. YMMV. That Malden looks cool too.

Yes we played at Best Buy this weekend. Weird.

• Members

My Utopia has a 44 mm nut width (yes just a bit less than 1-3/4") w/ a 12" radius and classy faux clay dots instead of MOTS. The quality out of the box is much better than any Xaviere or Squier I've purchased in the past. IMO you should compare the MIK Maldens to a MIM Fender or perhaps Agile (Agile has JM styles now too). On mine the only thing that really needed upgrading was the bridge just because lets' be honest, any vintage trem needs a full-size spring block, right? ;)

• Members

well its one fret shorter and then they add another fret...22 frets 24" vs 25.5" 21 fret does make a difference, like I said its not so much a deal breaker but rather more why bother?

both jag/jazz do have HUGE bodies, much like the Gibson Firebird which was the retarded half brother of the Fender Offsets.

• Members

I have a Squier Jagmaster, which is basically the same body and neck as a Jaguar..I can definitely feel the difference between the neck on that and a strat, especially as you get way up the neck, things get pretty tight it's a substantial difference in feel.

The body is a seperate issue. A Jazzmaster does feel much heftier than a strat, because it is heftier, but the necks still play the same.

Archived