Been looking at Jazzmasters, but what do I really want?

Fluttershy

• Members

I play a HB guitar at the moment with PAF-ish Alnico Vs, and I also have a Tele Copy.

I've found I like the articulation of the Tele more, but it's too honky on the bridge. The Humbucker is also pretty honky on the bridge compared to something like a Strat.

the Jazzmaster seems to give a nice glassy sound when used with distortion, and has a bit of twang to it but not excessively like with the Tele.

However, the Jazzmaster tends to be a heavy guitar, and there isn't a model I'm 100% gone on. I could get the Guitarfetish ones which are lighter, but they have the ugly headstock and the Trem can be dodgy. The Blacktops are cheaper than the Classics Player, but heavy and have a bridge HB. The Squires have no trems and I don't know if I want to sink money into modding that guitar, they are lighter than most Jazzers though. The Classic Player is about the best, but quite heavy and (for me) expensive.

I've been thinking about something very different, so I've gone back to looking at HB guitars, but one with Coil Splits. A lot of people complain that this can sound quite weak and scratchy, however before i was looking at getting a JM, I was looking at Jaguars, so I think I may be down with the trebley scratch sound. It's also possible I may just need to try different kinds of Hums.

The guitar I've been looking at is the Parker P44. The idea of having a Piezo to mix in, could make the Humbucking sound a bit more bright and interesting. I'm tired of the same old guitar sounds, so this could represent something new. The Trem seems to be pretty good on the guitar, the Coil Split sound is okay, and the Humbuckers have a pretty nice sound. Both the Jazzmaster and Parker are "versatile" , but in different ways. The JM is versatile since it's a single coil sound "but thicker", like P90s so it can do pretty much everything to some degree. The Parker can do "everything", but has to do it at extremes in some cases(coil split).

I'm totally open to other suggestions though. The Piezo thing is cool because I was thinking of picking up some kind of acoustic thingie at some stage, it'd be great to show up to local acoustic nights with it too. I have a kind of cool idea now, where I send the guitar's piezo output to the mixer, but run the guitar into a POG for low end, and a Vocoder for Electronic Sounds/ Harmonys etc.

My budget is pretty small though, as I said the CP Jazzmaster, even second hand, is pushing it, so I'm looking at the price point around $500 or so of your American moneys(though I'm based UK/Ireland). If I can get something cheaper than though, that'd be great as I've tons of other gear I need to get. There are tons of great cheap guitars these days.

I play mostly 80/90s alt rock(J Mascis' tone really makes me want a Jazzer at some stage), post punk/goth rock, electronic stuff(don't know if the guitar you're using makes a difference for synth/scrambled fuzz effects), maybe a bit of metal, or at least some heavy industrial stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You might consider buying a Warmoth body. They will pick extra light bodies on request. You could choose a wood you could finish with oil to keep cost down. That way you could choose what pickups and other hardware you use and not be restricted to the manufacturers choice. Talk to Bryan from BG Pups (forum member, username Norcal_GIT_r). He wound me a great sounding custom single coil for dirt cheap. He gives discounts to forum members.

Also, try asking over at offsetguitars.com . I am sure they would have lots of answers in terms of other Jazzmaster style guitars out there.

• Members

Get a BT Jazzmaster and swap out the bridge pickup- I've never tried one, but the GFS Surf 90 seems like a good candidate for traditional JM tone. I'd go with some flavor of a HB sized P90, but that's me. No matter what, you're still under the CP price point.

• Members
Yeah, I'm worried about the 24" Scale on Mustangs, as well as the overly trebley sound, but they could be an option since I already have a HB guitar

I really think that 24" scale is something you'll barely notice. It's only half a fret shorter than your average Gibson, and since it has a 22-fret neck with no overhang, it'll feel very natural.

• Members

A P90 based guitar would work great too, though If I'm getting a JM I want proper JM pickups.

Good point- a lot of people think JM pickups are P90s, but they're pretty different. Personally, I find "vintage" JM bridge pickups kind of weak and really prefer P90s, but that's my preference.

• Members

So you want single coils but in a lighter weight body, and with tone that isn't too screechy - Maybe look into mini humbuckers, or P90s (ala an Epiphone Riviera). You also might want to look into an Italia or a DiPinto if you want something different.

http://www.italiaguitars.com/new/guitar/mar_01.html

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/category.php?id=1

Realize this, any Jag or Jazzy, is going to be a bit on the hefty side (although I don't find my CP Jazzy to be as heavy as my '66 Reissue Jaguar was). So, if you want a Fender offset that is light, you're going to have to settle for a Duo Sonic, Mustang, or an old Musicmaster. Actually, price-wise, the Squier CV Duo Sonic, may be right up your alley. It's 24" scale neck isn't too bad (believe me, you don't notice 24" scale necks that much - they're nowhere near as cramped as a 22.5" scale neck, like a Ric 325 has), and it's relatively lightweight. If you don't like the pickups, beefier pickups can be bought for a pretty modest cost, and installed (if you don't want to do it yourself, have a tech at a guitar store do it for you).

DV016_Jpg_Large_519399.850_desert_sand.j

• Members

what's your price range? if you want single coil and tremolo arm, well, there's a reason strats are so popular.

if you want an offset and a trem, and jazzmasters and jaguars are too heavy, well, the choice becomes pretty simple.. mustang.

DV016_Jpg_Large_512763.215_olympic_white

65 reissue... I think these are made in japan. correct me if I'm wrong. japanese fenders generally are godly.

it's $940 on MF but I wouldn't pay more than $750 for it. if you ask any major retailer like music 123 if they'll sell you one for $750 there's a good chance they'll go for it -- based on my experience in the past.

• Members

I really think that 24" scale is something you'll barely notice. It's only half a fret shorter than your average Gibson, and since it has a 22-fret neck with no overhang, it'll feel very natural.

I feel a very significant difference between 24 and 25 1/.2....not so much between 24.75 and 25.5. Switch from a Jazzmaster to a Jaguar and the Jaguar feels like a toy.

Archived