Strat 2nd and 4th position hum??

J.Paul

• Members

Had the electronics ripped out of my mexi tele and replaced w/ seymour duncans. It now has 5 position Strat wiring.Position 2 is un-usable. There is way too much hum. What am I missing? When I took it in for the mod I will admit that using language such as " make the hum go away when the pickup is in the second position" is inarticulate by Harmony Central standards lol.

It's been to two techs. Neither of them seem to know what I'm talking about or sense that anything is wrong (I'm in NASHVILLE......). What sort of language do I need to use to communicate what I need?

WTF?

• Members

I'm gonna guess that the middle pickup is out of phase.

Either that or you don't have a Reverse Wire Reverse Polarity pickup.

It's one of the other.

Did you buy the SD pickups as a set or as singles? If you bought it as singles, there's a chance you forgot to get the RWRP pickup for the middle. If you don't have that, then you won't get hum-free operation in the 2/4 positions.

• Members

I'm gonna guess that the middle pickup is out of phase.

Either that or you don't have a Reverse Wire Reverse Polarity pickup.

It's one of the other.

Did you buy the SD pickups as a set or as singles? If you bought it as singles, there's a chance you forgot to get the RWRP pickup for the middle. If you don't have that, then you won't get hum-free operation in the 2/4 positions.

/thread

• Members

Ah HAH!

There we go.

That's good information.

Thank you.

Yeah they were bought as singles. I'm disappointed that either of these people didn't catch that....

Yeah, a professional guitar tech should have thought of those two scenarios. It's exactly what I thought when I read the thread title, and I'm just an amateur.

• Members

Yeah, I'm just an amateur with a $5 soldering iron who reads Internet a lot.

In the future, make sure you buy the reverse-wired reverse-polarity versions for hum cancellation. They often are sold as "middle pickups." I like to get these because I like Fender Mustangs, and they are two-Strat-pickup guitars, so instead of bridge-neck, I buy bridge-middle (or middle-neck).

In a Strat, I usually put the middle pickup in the neck, and then pretend I didn't swap the neck and the middle when I wire the 5-way. This gives you different positions. This makes 1 the bridge, 2 the bridge + neck, 3 the neck, 4 the neck + middle, 5 the middle, and you have hum cancellation in 2 & 4.

• Members

I had a similar issue when I put Texas Specials in my Tele with the 4 way switch. I came to realize it was normal. 60 Hz humm I believe.

Or is it?

No.

They should cancel out and be as quiet as a humbucker in those (2 & 4) positions....should sound slinky and hollow.....ala early Robert Plant

I think the 60 cycle hum is a different issue.

• Members

Yes, by telling people that your guitar is vintage correct, therefore there's no need to "fix" a non-existent issue.
:)

lol, I got a HSS yamaha which has a bridge Dimarzio sds-1 installed in the middle, which led to hum in the position 4 with the stock neck S. Not a big deal but I kinda want to try reverse the magnets of stock neck S, assuming that different wiring would not solve that hum (right?)

BTW I'm gonna put the SDS in the neck when I replace the pots, which are broken.

• Members

If you reverse the magnet, you then have to reverse the wires to get the RWRP.

If we're talking about normal Strat single coil pickups, nobody's going to reverse the magnet(s) without destroying the windings. A humbucker, yes, with some careful work you can flip the bar magnet, but not so with a Strat / Tele pickup with the magnet polepieces pushed through the bobbin with magnet wire and potting tight up against the magnets.

• Members

Ok I'm going to ignore the hum then.

...or replace the middle pickup with a Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity pickup (with flat poles?) of the same amount of windings (ohms) -- which likely has AlNiCo-5 magnets.

Archived