OK, why is the middle position of my 3 way switch not working right?

shinsengumi

• Members

So my newish SG has an issue in that with the selector in the middle, only the bridge pickup plays. Switch to neck, you get neck, switch to bridge, you get bridge. Switch to middle, only bridge. I've checked it out and the connections seem fine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]333881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]333882[/ATTACH]

What's going on?

• Members

Try retensioning the inner springs by pulling them outwards. I've had this happen before to my three way and that fixed. Even though the connections look ok sometimes there is just a hair of space btw the connectors because the inner springs sit just inside the width of the lever thing.

If that doesn't work the switch is worn out and needs to be replaced.

• Members

If the switch allows the bridge to play in the bridge position and the neck to play in the neck position but only the bridge pickup in the middle position, there's a 99.9999% chance that spring isn't actually making contact. I've had that issue with three different used guitars I've bought. Two times, I just tweaked the spring, once I needed a new switch, but it was a pretty haggered guitar overall.

I guess there's a very slight chance that there's a short elsewhere in the circuit outside of the switch, but I'd bet everything I have in my pocket it's those leaf springs not having enough tension.

• Members

Try some contact cleaner. Every guitar I've had that came with a Gibson style 3-way switch would begin to cut out intermittently or altogether when newish. The contacts build up oxidation which should be cleared up by an application or three of lubed contact cleaner. The lubricated cleaner will help to slow future oxidation build up as well. It doesn't take much build up on the contacts with these type switches to interfere with continuity. If you don't see any thing physically wrong then usually it is only in need of cleaning. The switch design is too simple to have a physical problem that doesn't stand out.

• Members

I do, but what am I checking for. Resistance?

set to ohms

if you touch the probe tips together you will get full meter deflection. You should get the same if the part you are checking has continuity. Anything less and that could be a problem.

no deflection means no connection/continuity.

Archived