Sign in to follow this  
BlueSky1963

Why does Fender sometimes paint Strat headstocks?

This thread got me thinking...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2766917-What-Strat-Is-Ry-Cooder-Playing&highlight=Ry+Cooder

I've got a '97 MIA Srat that's Surf Green with a matching headstock and rosewood fretboard. When I bought it (new, in Raleigh, NC) the salesman said it was an FSR. Didn't think much of it since the price was the same as all the other MIA's. About 1 year later I saw a similar guitar in a music store in London. Still didn't think much about it.

Flash forward 12 years. I walk into the local Sam Ash and what do I see hanging on the wall? Brand new Surf Green MIA with matching headstock and rosewood fretboard. Same price as all the other new MIAs they had. WTF?

I've kept an eye out over the years and I've seen quite a few Strats with matching headstocks. All of them seem to have rosewood fretboards. I've never seen this on a Tele.

Does anyone know why this is done? Is it something to do with the neck being sound, but having some sort of blemish on the headstock that needs covering up? :idk:

No. It's just for the bling factor.

I think of matched headstock as the cherry on top. You don't need it, but you don't mind it, and sometimes you crave it but not enough to lose sleep over it

I've got a '97 MIA Srat that's Surf Green with a matching headstock and rosewood fretboard. When I bought it (new, in Raleigh, NC)

It's funny, cause I bought that exact same Strat when they came out, and I bought it in Raleigh as well, IIRC.

And it's funny... I don't care one way or the other about matching headstocks on a strat or tele, but on a Jag or Jazzmaster, them make me all giddy. :lol:

It's funny, cause I bought that exact same Strat when they came out, and I bought it in Raleigh as well, IIRC.

I got mine at the long gone Music Loft on New Hope Rd.

No. It's just for the bling factor.

I think of matched headstock as the cherry on top. You don't need it, but you don't mind it, and sometimes you crave it but not enough to lose sleep over it

I sort of figured that, but if you go to Fender's website they never list it as a color option. At least not that I've ever seen.

It's a style goes back to when they introduced the rosewood fretboard in '58 or '59. You notice it was customary to paint the headstock on "Custom Color" Jazzmaster and Jaguars and such, they also did that to the occasional Strat and Tele.

And they still do in limited runs. The first one I saw was a Custom Shop-deigned, but production-built model about 20 years ago. Ever since then, Fender does a few runs from time to time. Almost always it's done using a traditional "Custom Color" to keep the '60's look.

they did a run of American Standard limited edition in 2009 no up charge at the time. I really wanted a blue one.

DV016_Jpg_Large_501917_group_with_backgr

1.) Excess paint -- now something to do with that excess paint!

2.) Martha Stewart took over the design department at Fender.

3.) Someone at Fender hates natural maple.

what does "FSR" mean? Fender Special Release??
:confused:

I think I saw in a catalog that it stands for "Factory Special Run." I could be wrong.

Personally, I don't care for matching headstocks, but it wouldn't deter me from a good guitar. Black headstocks, as are found on many (most?) guitars look ok to me, but it would look weird on a Fender. I guess I'm just used to looking at Fenders without panted headstocks.

Why do it? Because they are in a business to make money! Nothing wrong with that, btw. You want whitewalls with your 56 Buick?

I love matching headstocks.

The first strat I ever saw was when I was very young and was olympic white, rosewood board, matching white stock and in my head strats without the matching headstock seem a little off. It also had the sort of chromed logo you see now and again.

I still remember that like it was yesterday and that was in a tiny store in Brainerd Minnesota when I was probably 11 or 12.

I'd seen them on television prior to that but this must be around 1975-1976 timeframe and I was three years away from having a first electric at the time.

Seeing that guitar made it an obsession just hanging there in the store.

Anyway, here's one of the FSR guitars I own but it doesn't have a matching headstock:

strat.JPG

Oh man, I absolutely love painted headstocks on strats! My first strat was a Japanese Contemporary strat with a black painted headstock. The guitar kicked some serious ass.

Personally, I think it looks more 'refined'.

1985ContemporaryStratocaster.JPG

Not mine, taken from Wikipedia, but the EXACT guitar.