Is there a reason people remove the trem backplate on a Strat?

turnip

• Members

Don't know about just strats in particular. But i used have the backplate off of a couple of guitars permenantly. This was due to me constantly fiddling with the action and trem angles. just easy access i suppose, coupled with the laziness, of screwing it back on, knowing it would be off again at the next string change. This was probably a good 10 years ago though. My Ibanez RG years m/

• Members

These were what the original Strat backplates that started getting pulled from Strats looked like:

56_Strat_Back.jpg

1986%20FR%2062%20Strat%20Back.jpg

You have to align the hole in the backplate and the hole in the inertia block for ease in string changing. The trem tension balance and stop point set for the player's personal preference could very well not have the holes in the inertia block in perfect alignment with the holes in the backplate.

Under the stress of a broken string during performance as well as possibly limited lighting conditions this alignment could be an infuriating and unnecessary obstacle. A lot of backplates got removed from the guitars.

Later Fender wised up a bit and redesigned the backplate with a wider slot so that the backplate would be less of an obstacle:

8492b945.jpg

However, by that time the absence of a backplate had become a very accepted and perhaps even the usual appearance for a Stratocaster.

• Members

These were what the original Strat backplates that started getting pulled from Strats looked like:

56_Strat_Back.jpg

1986%20FR%2062%20Strat%20Back.jpg

You have to align the hole in the backplate and the hole in the inertia block for ease in string changing. The trem tension balance and stop point set for the player's personal preference could very well not have the holes in the inertia block in perfect alignment with the holes in the backplate.

Under the stress of a broken string during performance as well as possibly limited lighting conditions this alignment could be an infuriating and unnecessary obstacle. A lot of backplates got removed from the guitars.

Later Fender wised up a bit and redesigned the backplate with a wider slot so that the backplate would be less of an obstacle:

8492b945.jpg

However, by that time the absence of a backplate had become a very accepted and perhaps even the usual appearance for a Stratocaster.

Best, most thorough response

• Members

Even with the expanded cutout shown in the last of Spudro's pictures, the trem bloc won't quite match up with the cut if the trem is decked. That makes it really cumbersome to get the strings out, so I take the backplate off. I "think" Fender made the backplates with a lenghtwise longer holes in them at some point in the 90s - I'm pretty sure I've seen backplates with six rectangular holes.

• Members

I hear EJ also claims that the screws used to hold his amp together affect the tone.

I'm sure that it does. I'm also sure than no person without freakish superhuman, barn-owl-like hearing could tell one whit of difference one from the other. Now whether Eric actually has that type of hearing or is full of it is a whole other question.

• Members

I'm sure that it does. I'm also sure than no person without freakish superhuman, barn-owl-like hearing could tell one whit of difference one from the other. Now whether Eric actually has that type of hearing or is full of it is a whole other question.

That was kind of my point :).

Archived