Pioneers You Must Like...or Else

Brainfertilizer

• Members

meaning.. you can hate the music but you better give them props.. for the musical contribution or their place in music.. and not just slag off and say they are over rated..

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

Pete Townshend

Buddy F'n Guy

Andy Summers

Robert Fripp

The Edge

... the list goes on and on...

• Members

Radiohead tends to be viewed this way, lately.

It's kind of hard to put a band after Nirvana on this sort of list; I think the last major, "historical" change in pop music happened with them. Radiohead's biggest "historical" move was releasing In Rainbows with the whole name-your-own-price thing. Sure, Ok Computer was awesome, and they figured out a way to completely change their sound (with Kid A and Amnesiac) and still remain relevant, but I don't think any of their albums changed the direction of pop/rock music. Obviously, I'm not knocking the band (just look at my avatar), but look at it this way: While Van Halen changed the way most guitar players played guitar, Radiohead just released good music. As far as historical influence, Radiohead isn't on the same level, even though I enjoy their music more than VH.

• Members

Les Paul, Seth Lover, Leo Fender, Abigail ( Leo's winder from the get go). The original pioneers you may not like them but should at least respect them. Larry DiMarzio, Seymor Duncan, Bill Lawrence.
Then there are the players. Jeff Beck, Jimmi Page, Hendrix, Clapton, and on and on. Lets face it these plus many more are why we do what we do.

• Members

I think that every mature guitar player needs to know the important pioneers and understand their musical contributions. One superficial listen is not enough. You don't have to like all of them but with understanding you probably will like most of them and appreciate all of them.

An incomplete list to start with:

Robert Johnson

Django Rheinhardt

Charlie Christian

T-bone Walker

Merle Travis

Scotty Moore

Chet Atkins

Muddy Waters

Elmore James

BB King, Albert and Freddie King

Wes Montgomery

George Harrison

Clapton

Beck

Hendrix

Page

Eddie Van Halen

Robert Fripp

One should also know the main figures on other instruments and great composers.

Archived