Pioneers You Must Like...or Else

Brainfertilizer

• Members

This was said in another thread:

How could anyone not like Jimi--He change music to what we listen to today.

So, I was thinking: who else are we required to like, regardless of style or taste or performance level, just because they broke new ground?

Fill in the blank:

How could anyone not like _____?--S/he changed music to what we listen to today.

• Members

You're not required to like anyone.

Agreed.

But there is a long list of people who have changed popular music.

Louis Jordan

Pat Boone

Chuck Berry

Elvis

The Beatles

The Who

Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

Grandmaster Flash

Michael Jackson

Nirvana

...and many more. You don't have to like anyone listed above, but they did change music.

• Members

True you don't HAVE to like anyone. But if you can't respect innovation and history it says alot about you. And be prepared to be judged when you speak out against respected artists. Lots of performers I can't handle listening to that I like because of what they did.

Maybe it is more of a respect thing than a like thing.

• Members

That's a great list, but you forgot the big three:

Les Paul

Chet Atkins

Madonna

:thu:

Well... at least the first two. :lol:

Agreed.

But there is a long list of people who have changed popular music.

Louis Jordan

Pat Boone

Chuck Berry

Elvis

The Beatles

The Who

Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

Grandmaster Flash

Michael Jackson

Nirvana

...and many more. You don't have to like anyone listed above, but they did change music.

• Members

Ok, Here is my take on it-I don't like Jimi Hendrix.

Those easily bored with overlong musings/explanations should bail now.

I don't like Jimi Hendrix because I don't like his songs. Whether it is tone, note choice, progression, singing style, lyrics, overall mood, etc, none of it grabs me at all. I've deliberately listened to his songs to try to understand the hero worship, and just didn't enjoy it.

However, here is my musical experience:

I love hard rock. I love distorted guitar.

The first hard rock music I remember loving was "Jesus Christ, Superstar". That was the first I was exposed to. The 2nd was "Smoke on the Water" on my brother's 45.

But the rest of the music around me included the Jackson 5, Bobby Goldsboro, KC and the Sunshine Band, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, etc. This all due to being the youngest of 6 kids, I guess.

For some reason, there was no Hendrix, no Beatles, no Stones in the house.

The next influence was Kiss Destroyer (but none of the other albums) around '76, when I was 8.

Then around 1980, my big brother and big sister #3 got big into pomp (?) rock. Toto, Journey, Foreigner, Styx, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Jethro Tull.

That music grabbed me. I loved the deeper music of the classical influence, but also loved the addition of the hard rock guitar sound. I didn't like Heavy Metal yet (it took the mid-80s synth-pop airwave dominance to drive me into heavy metal for my distorted guitar fix), but the harder songs by Styx and Queen entranced me.

Call it over-produced, if you will. But that was music to me.

In comparison, what I heard of Zep was either too electric blues or fruity acoustic crap. I know, I know, but that's what I felt at the time.

So the result is I still don't like what I'm supposed to like: I don't like the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Clapton, and I like Led Zeppelin imitators better than I like Led Zeppelin themselves. I still can't figure out why on that one.

But even though I don't like Hendrix at all, I *do* appreciate the way he approaches guitar: he fills up more space than most people, doing rhythm, harmony, and melody at will. And he just grabs that thing and wrings "music" out of it like water out of a sponge. The only other players that give me that feeling, that I feel like can make a major scale etude sound like music would be EVH and Rik Emmitt.

• Members

Ok, Here is my take on it-I don't like Jimi Hendrix.

Those easily bored with overlong musings/explanations should bail now.

I don't like Jimi Hendrix because I don't like his songs. Whether it is tone, note choice, progression, singing style, lyrics, overall mood, etc, none of it grabs me at all. I've deliberately listened to his songs to try to understand the hero worship, and just didn't enjoy it.

However, here is my musical experience:

I love hard rock. I love distorted guitar.

The first hard rock music I remember loving was "Jesus Christ, Superstar". That was the first I was exposed to. The 2nd was "Smoke on the Water" on my brother's 45.

But the rest of the music around me included the Jackson 5, Bobby Goldsboro, KC and the Sunshine Band, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, etc. This all due to being the youngest of 6 kids, I guess.

For some reason, there was no Hendrix, no Beatles, no Stones in the house.

The next influence was Kiss Destroyer (but none of the other albums) around '76, when I was 8.

Then around 1980, my big brother and big sister #3 got big into pomp (?) rock. Toto, Journey, Foreigner, Styx, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Jethro Tull.

That music grabbed me. I loved the deeper music of the classical influence, but also loved the addition of the hard rock guitar sound. I didn't like Heavy Metal yet (it took the mid-80s synth-pop airwave dominance to drive me into heavy metal for my distorted guitar fix), but the harder songs by Styx and Queen entranced me.

Call it over-produced, if you will. But that was music to me.

In comparison, what I heard of Zep was either too electric blues or fruity acoustic crap. I know, I know, but that's what I felt at the time.

So the result is I still don't like what I'm supposed to like: I don't like the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Clapton, and I like Led Zeppelin imitators better than I like Led Zeppelin themselves. I still can't figure out why on that one.

But even though I don't like Hendrix at all, I *do* appreciate the way he approaches guitar: he fills up more space than most people, doing rhythm, harmony, and melody at will. And he just grabs that thing and wrings "music" out of it like water out of a sponge. The only other players that give me that feeling, that I feel like can make a major scale etude sound like music would be EVH and Rik Emmitt.

This is like answering a true/false question with an essay and still circling the wrong answer.

• Members

pat boone? i just threw up in my mouth a lil

Yeah, I don't consider Pat Boone to be an example of good music; but if it weren't for him, much of America wouldn't have been exposed to "rock n' roll" when it was. His safe, white-boy image allowed (badly covered) R&B records to be played in cities that didn't have R&B radio stations. So he does deserve a footnote in rock history, despite whether or not he was talented.

• Members

DYLAN.

Whether or not you happen to like his singing, his guitar or harmonica playing, his haircuts, his politics or his taste in shirts, he forever altered popular songwriting and forever redefined what a rock or pop lyric could be.

How does it FEEEEEEL?

Archived