NHBG (Firenze Content and impressions)

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I buy, and sell a lot, but only really post new guitars that are off the beaten path. I just traded a MIK Hamer (with issues) on this Hanson Firenze. If a MIJ Fender Strat, a Gibson Firebird, and a Reverand Jetsream had a 3 way, this would be the offspring. Basics - Bolt neck, ash body, 3 blade mini HB's, Bigsby (licensed) trem. Hanson started out making PUP's, then Lakeland basses. Been making guitars for a few years. Bodywork comes from Indonesia - final assembly/setup in Chicago.

THE GOOD:

There is a lot of good. The 3 mini HB's, and 5 way switch it gives great variety to the tones available. Quality is very good. About inline with MIJ Fender, or possibly lower end MIA Gibsons. The controls are well placed. Off the neck, or neck & middle mix, you can get some Fenderish stuff, off the Bridge, or Bridge & Middle PUP mix, you can get some thicker HB tones - not burstbucker sound, but more of an overwould PAF - hot but not over the top.

THE BAD:

Set neck would have been nice. Bindings would have been nice. But you know, it's not that kind of guitar. If the bridge PUP was a little bit hotter, you could pretty much do it all. The biggest down side for me if working around the Bigsby. Between the longer scale length, and the Bigsby I have to adjust my style a bit when I do lead playing. But I think I have just about worked that through in just a couple days of playing.

VERDICT:

After a couple days with the guitar, I can truly say I love it. It covers territory I did not have in my collection. I never though I would have a 3 HB guitar, but the sould clips sounded so warm in tone, I had to try it. I'm glad I did. I tend to keep around guitars that are kind of rare, and that I love playing. I think this is one of those.

PICS:

HANSON_1.JPG

HANSON_2.JPG

HANSON_3.JPG

HANSON_4.JPG

HANSON_6.JPG

DEMO (not me)

3yTl_AGWAoI&

• Members

That's a pretty cool looking Axe. How do you like the placement of the selector switch? I watched part of the video, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.

HNGD!!

I do like the placement of the switch. I have played it for a couple days, and not once did I think "geez - why did he put the selector there?". The Bigsby takes getting used to. The only other guitar I have with a Bigsby is a larger body hollow.

Thanks guys.

• Members

Guess I'll be the first to say
:freak:
. Butt ugly IMO, but if you like how it plays (and how it looks) power to you.

HNGD.

Honestly - I was not really attracted to the look of it. The M&P I dealt with also had a Hanson Gatto (seee below). I was more attracted to that one looks wise. But I took it home, and the Gatto kept squeeling on hgh gain so much - I took it back the same day, and said I would try the Firenze if they gve me a bit more in trade on the Hamer. They gave me $50 more - so I took the Firenze home. The looks have grown on me. It is subjective, but most people I have shown it to like the looks. NP either way though. It does have a subtle sparkle in the finish that does not come out in the pics.

Here is the Gatto...

gatto.jpg

• Members

Thanks Guys & PK

I am kind of a sucker for guitars that are off the beaten path. I saw the Gotta hanging up in the Mom & Pop on Friday, and it got me curious. I had never heard of Hanson before that. At first I thought the Gotta was maybe something vintage from the early 1960's - it had that kind of look to it. I called the store later and was surprised to hear it was a new guitar. Really what impressed me was a MIA guitar for around $600. But it is a little deceiving, as the body work comes from Indonesia, and the final assembly/setup is in Chicago.

• Members

Thanks Guys & PK

I am kind of a sucker for guitars that are off the beaten path. I saw the Gotta hanging up in the Mom & Pop on Friday, and it got me curious. I had never heard of Hanson before that. At first I thought the Gotta was maybe something vintage from the early 1960's - it had that kind of look to it. I called the store later and was surprised to hear it was a new guitar. Really what impressed me was a MIA guitar for around $600. But it is a little deceiving, as the body work comes from Indonesia, and the final assembly/setup is in Chicago.

After more than a month with my Hanson Cigno, I can tell you that it's a cool/quality guitar.

My only bugaboo is the thick plastic like finish.......but it's a very good guitar. Don't let that made in Indonesia thing bother you.

BTW, hngd Woody.

Here's mine..........

cigno5.jpg

cigno4.jpg

I got my Cigno from Jim at The Guitar Bar in Hoboken, NJ.

Here's Jim playing his Cigno with Ian Hunter.....

Archived