Anyone remember "The Clay Cole Show" ?

fuzztone

• Members

I have great memories of the Clay Cole show, I remember watching the Stones on it. I can't believe WPIX did that!

We're lucky that the BBC took rock and folk more seriously. There's a wealth of performances on tape over there. It seems the brits had at least an idea that there was something culturally significant going on in the '60's. In this country it was all a bunch of disposable pop.

• Members

Never heard of it, but the band I play in is called the Terry Cole show. Terry Cole is the leader and frontman when the band is not backing other artists like Adrian Ray, or Daniel Lee Martin, or such.

The similarity of the names is just an interesting coincidence.

• Members

Haha cool. Maybe Terry is related to Clay? Clay's show was great. He was only 21 in 1964 when he had the "Clay Cole presents The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones" episode. That show had only 2 acts The Rolling Stones live in the studio followed by the The Beatle live via satellite from London. Can you believe they recorded over that tape to save a couple of dollars on video tape?

• Members

I have this vague memory that my older sister was all excited about "the Rolling Stones are coming" to New York. My parents going on about how dirty and disgusting they were. I thought I was gonna get bugs from them or something. The Rolling Stones were coming and they were going to give everyone in New York fleas or bed bugs or something.

Then I saw them on tv and Mick Jagger was wearing some kind of pull over sweater or sweat shirt, not like the neatly dressed Beatles. I understood why everyone thought they were slobs....it was love at first sight.

• Members

Yes, I do remember watching the "The Clay Cole Show" when I was a kid living in the NYC Metro area. 'Twas the golden age of television. Lots of good musically oriented shows like "Where the Action Is" and "Shindig!"

Also does anyone remember John Zacherle (aka John Zacherley) the fella who played a ghoul on a kids TV show? Zacherle also hosted "Chiller Theatre" in the 1960's and was a DJ on WNEW-FM and WPLJ-FM. He also introduced the Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East in 1970.

• Members

Yes, Clay Cole's show was a local New York City show. If you didn't live in the Tri-State area you probably weren't aware of it. Being a Stones FREAK, it was a big deal when Clay had them on. National shows around that time were Shindig and Hullabaloo, both which were on prime time. Used to always watch Where The Action Is when I got home from school. The artists lip synced their hits but it was cool seeing all the Brit-Invasion acts of the time.

• Members

Also does anyone remember John Zacherle (aka John Zacherley) the fella who played a ghoul on a kids TV show? Zacherle also hosted "Chiller Theatre" in the 1960's and was a DJ on WNEW-FM and WPLJ-FM. He also introduced the Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East in 1970.

[video=youtube;O2FD0uCzOdU]

"The Cool Ghoul" is still alive and well! He will be appearing at

The Chiller Theater Expo this weekend!

zach1.jpg

[video=youtube;6f7ad5QmGU0]

[video=youtube;4lJgDL11lUk]

• 9 years later...