What Fender Tube Amp combo has the highest gain in your opinion ??

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Obviously no Fender amp is going to sound like death metal...... but what Fender combo model have you ever played/owned/ or demo'd were you surprised to find had quite a bit of gain??

I just sold a blues junior NOS cause it wasn't cutting it......and I really didn't like the sound of pedals in front of the either channel either.

• Members

I'm pretty sure Dave Grohl used a Fender amp on the new album...Im not 100% sure what model...mabye a Bandmaster?? I'ts in the latest Guitar World issue where they are on the cover...i'll check tonight, but he's got a pretty heavy sound if that Fender is all he used...

• Members

I'm pretty sure Dave Grohl used a Fender amp on the new album...Im not 100% sure what model...mabye a Bandmaster?? I'ts in the latest Guitar World issue where they are on the cover...i'll check tonight, but he's got a pretty heavy sound
if
that Fender is all he used...

Fender Tonemaster. Unfortunately, they're discontinued MANY years.

• Members

I'd say definitely the prosonic or supersonic, but if I was looking specifically for a high-gain amp, Fender is not the first place I'd be looking.

Yep.

The Supersonic is more Fender's take on a Mesa. Which is kind of ironic, since Mesa really started out hot-rodding Fenders.

If I was looking for a high gain amp with a "Fender" type feel, I'd definitely start with Mesa.

• Members

Yep.

The Supersonic is more Fender's take on a Mesa. Which is kind of ironic, since Mesa really started out hot-rodding Fenders.

If I was looking for a high gain amp with a "Fender" type feel, I'd definitely start with Mesa.

Isn't it the Mark series that's Boogie's take on the Blackface type Fender? The Dual Rectumfryer has a cathode follower, doesn't it? I can't find my book of schematics, otherwise I'd tell you for sure, but that would make it more like a Marshall, which is a hotrodded Fender Bassman. LOL

• Members

Isn't it the Mark series that's Boogie's take on the Blackface type Fender? The Dual Rectumfryer has a cathode follower, doesn't it? I can't find my book of schematics, otherwise I'd tell you for sure, but that would make it more like a Marshall, which is a hotrodded Fender Bassman. LOL

Yes, the Rectifier series has a cathode follower, but of course they sound nothing like Marshalls. The voicing is completely different.

Among the high-gain amps in Mesa's lineup, the Roadster/Road King series in particular have a very Fender-ish clean channel, and can do genuine high-gain without a problem.

• Members

Yes, the Rectifier series has a cathode follower, but of course they sound nothing like Marshalls. The voicing is completely different.

Among the high-gain amps in Mesa's lineup, the Roadster/Road King series in particular have a very Fender-ish clean channel, and can do genuine high-gain without a problem.

Well, most of them are 6L6 based, right? I know you CAN put EL34s in the Recs, but I honestly don't hear a lot of people saying they've done so.

• Members

I have a supersonic. It can do a cascading gain saturated sound pretty well, but it has no where near the gain or musicality of sound at high gain as my mesa boogie DC3. I think the supersonic really shines on the clean channel, and the low to moderate rock/blues type gain sounds. Trying to make it into a hard rock/metal amp just doesn't cut it compared to the mesa. I run the two amps as a A/B setup to cover cleans and dirty stuff.

Archived