GAS Problem (A Common Lament)

• Members

I can't play all the guitars I have with enough regularity to justify having so many, but I still want more!

There's just no logic to it.

I love my 6 Jon Kammerer guitars, and I still have a few in my sites, including a mini-semi-hollow-body and maybe one of his puzzle-top guitars (maybe with a USAF symbol?). They are the best fixed-bridge guitars I've ever played.

And yet, since they aren't collectible (yet?), I have this need/urge for collectible guitars.

That includes a Ted Nugent-signed Hamer USA Californian w/ an extremely rare (for Californians, at least) maple fretboard, and a Hamer USA Chaparral 12-string, and a Hamer USA Centaura Deluxe. I don't touch 'em because the Centaura is in mint condition despite being 20 years old, the Californian is rare/collectible and I don't want to mess it up, and I don't really play 12-string electrics.

Then there are two Hamer imports, an amber-burst SATF and a cherry sunburst Stellar 1, as well as an Ibanez Jet King 1 that I can't get rid of because I just love their appearance...looking at them makes me happy, so playing them does, too.

Then there are my kick-ass Floyded shredders: a Hamer USA Centaura w/ maple board that has awesome tone and looks beautiful; a Peavey Vandenberg w/ upgraded pickups...it sounds awesome, I love the ebony fretboard, it is extremely well-balanced/ergonomic; a Parker Nitefly...I love the piezo blend and their Parker proprietary trems; and an Epiphone 935i set-neck shredder, which may not be valuable but is fairly rare and was a top-quality guitar when it came out.

And if that weren't enough, I have a very recent obsession for Matsumoku-made Vantage and Westone guitars, which extends out to the Korean Westones, too (because the necks are still extremely good). I already have 5 Vantages and 3 Westones (Corsair XA1420, Genesis I and a UK-soldSpectrum II SP5112 (w/ 24-fret neck that the price list says came out in late 1988) (also could be a USA 1988 Corsair Standard, but the mini-switches position seems to match the UK SP5112 better)...yet I'm really struggling to not pick up 2 more Westones (a 1988 UK SP2111ST and a 1989 Challenger) for $100 and $200 respectively, as well as a Vantage AV-325 on eBay. I already have both a silver and a blue AV-325, and they aren't as good as the X-77, FV-575, and unknown Avenger (it isn't shown in what matsumoku.org has, but it has a pickguard, 1 bridge-position HB, only, and coil-tap switch), but I would like a red one to complete my collection.

Aside from all those, there is an Aria Pro II Magna series 24-fret fixed bridge H/S/S and a Hamer import strat copy I like too much to sell, too.

If I added that up correctly, that's 26 guitars. 31 if I get the 2 Jon Kammerers, 1 Vantage and 2 Westones I'm thinking about. Plus there are 4 guitars I'm currently selling off to cover the recent acquisitions.

I'm not in a band. I haven't done any YouTube videos. I have only written about 2-3 songs and can maybe play 20 songs all the way through (I usually lose interest after learning the rhythm parts and cool licks).

So what do I need with 26 or 31 guitars? And even if I can justify these, what do I do when I see another cheap Vantage or Westone?

Of these guitars, there are 2 Vantages that I don't like and 3 Hamer USAs that I don't touch, but hold on to 100% for my "collection". Why do I even want a "collection"? It's not like anyone is going to ooh and ah over a couple of Vantage Avenger AV-325s.

• Members

The Vantages aren't even the best guitars I own, not by a longshot. There's just something about the quality vs price that has its hooks in me. The Jon Kammerers start at 4x the price of the Vantages, but there's no way they are 4x as good.

When I start gigging in about 3 months, I'll probably use the Jon Kammerers because I love the way they looks, sound, and feel. But I still can't stop my Vantage obsession, even if they may never see a stage or a video. Heck, if I sold just the Vantages, I'd have enough for another Jon Kammerer w/ some upgrades. I just can't make myself do it.

• Members

I feel like I'm going f'n crazy. I have all I want...except I still want more. I obsess over the next potential acquisition more than I enjoy the ones I have.

If it's a problem you should probably talk to a professional about it.

Here you are at a bar talking to alcoholics that aren't in treatment.

• Members

I'm much like you, so I completely understand. Seems like we're at about the same level of ability, and I have a double-digit collection with a couple pretty nice guitars. It's a hobby and an obsession. A great guitar is a work of art in two ways at once, so it's easy to get caught up in both aspects when GAS attacks. I've been trying to scale down, and I've sold a ton of guitars in the last several months, but I still want to buy pretty much every guitar I see.

So, I don't know if you're normal, but you're certainly not alone. ;)

• Members

I know the feeling and I've traded a couple guitars that I should've kept because of my 'more'-ism with acquiring guitars. I've found a happy medium with rotating 3 main guitars for playing... 2 prestiges and an SG. I'm very happy with these 3 guitars currently.

What really adds up is when you have to replace all the pick-ups... ugh

• Members

Find 8 or 10 poor kids that need new guitars and give them away. Hell, you could give away 20.

If you can't find any kids, craigslist them and give the money to charity. Check craiglsit for guys who give lessons. The guys who teach at places other than music stores. They may know someone who could use a guitar.

The worst thing is to try and sell them to put money in your pocket. No one would love them as much as you. Consider them a donation from the start.

Good luck.

• Members

The quest to find the perfect pickup never seems to end.

ain't that the truth! Though I've narrowed it down to either EMG, Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio :cool:

What REALLY sucks for me is that I'm a complete newb when it comes to setting up guitars so I pay my guitar teacher to do it for me (and it's not cheap). So basically if I want to swap pick-ups from one guitar to the next I have to have someone do it for me.

I'm going to invest a little time and money into learning how to do these things myself (as I don't see them as being incredibly complex things to do).

I'm GAS'd out... 2 ibanez prestiges and 1 faded gibson SG have ful-filled my guitar-lust... though the RG2750E *is* still stock :facepalm:

• Members

Find 8 or 10 poor kids that need new guitars and give them away. Hell, you could give away 20.

If you can't find any kids, craigslist them and give the money to charity. Check craiglsit for guys who give lessons. The guys who teach at places other than music stores. They may know someone who could use a guitar.

The worst thing is to try and sell them to put money in your pocket. No one would love them as much as you. Consider them a donation from the start.

Good luck.

Great advice.

SB

• Members

I've donated guitars before. There are a couple of charities in Chicago that help underprivileged kids learn how to play music. My guitar tech takes in the donations and fixes them up before donating them. I'd gladly donate again. And after my recent ebay experience selling a guitar, I'm done with shipping them. Fed Ex broke the headstock. I shipped it in a hard case inside a well padded box. I seriously doubt that I'll ever ship another guitar. I'd rather take the donation write off.

• Members

pics...
:cop:

Here's most of 'em. I don't have personally-taken pics of the most recent (the Vantages and Westones and Parker and Vandy). I'll take some and post 'em tomorrow.

Click thumbnails to embiggen:

Jet King 1:

th_IbanezJTK1004.jpg

Jon Kammerer 1:

th_WalnutHollowBody018.jpg

Jon Kammerer 2:

th_GlossCherryStrat-style001.jpg

Jon Kammerer 3:

th_GlossMapleSolidbody3SC013.jpg

Ted Nugent-signed Hamer USA Californian:

th_DSC_0147.jpg

Jon Kammerer 4:

th_DSC_0106-1.jpg

Jon Kammerer 5:

th_DSC_0078-1.jpg

• Members

it's easy to let yourself get carried away with finding cool gear (lord knows there's tons of it out there...). just don't forget to spend time playing and enjoying what you have.

and to echo prior advice- never spend what you don't have. if you start to rack up debt on gear, then you're doing it wrong and it could have dire consequences.

• Members

it's easy to let yourself get carried away with finding cool gear (lord knows there's tons of it out there...).
just don't forget to spend time playing and enjoying what you have.

and to echo prior advice- never spend what you don't have. if you start to rack up debt on gear, then you're doing it wrong and it could have dire consequences.

No, no debt.

I have a special guitar fund. I've actually funded about half my purchases from profits on buying and selling guitars.

But yeah, I'm going to focus in on playing. I'm moving to the DC area in a few months, and will join or form a band...so I gotta get ready.

• Members

No, no debt.

I have a special guitar fund. I've actually funded about half my purchases from profits on buying and selling guitars.

good. very smart, IMO.

But yeah, I'm going to focus in on playing. I'm moving to the DC area in a few months, and will join or form a band...so I gotta get ready.

excellent goal! to risk getting off topic: the greatest way to advance ones playing, IMO, is to play with others as a group. dynamics, attention to changes, composition, layering sounds, dialing in tone, compromise, self-discovery, risk-taking, mistake-making, covering for others' mistakes, etc. your mileage may vary, but looking back on what i've been fortunate enough to do so far, my musical ability has come from live performance and rehearsing with others.

Archived