Late NGD II: Aria Pro II Magna Series (knowledgeable help requested)

• Members

I got this about a month ago.

It was after I got back into looking for Matsumoku-made guitars. I don't think this is one, but I was intrigued...pretty much every non-LP Aria Pro II after 1982 or so that I've seen all have trems. So to see a 24-fret fixed bridge Aria Pro II, I wanted it. But someone outbid me. But then I got the 2nd chance offer, the winning bidder didn't pay. But while I was considering it, the seller cancelled it! I thought nothing of it, but within a few hours, he emailed me and offered it to me for an even further reduced price, total of $100 shipped.

Something was fishy, maybe, but I figured I had PayPal's protection, so why not?

And it paid off.

This is a kick-ass little guitar.

To be honest, it can't compare w/ my Jon Kammerer's which are all 24-fret, fixed bridge guitars with far better upper fret access and tone. But for $100, what harm is there?

It has decent tone. Slightly different than Seymour Duncan that I normally use, so maybe it has a DiMarzio influence? But the HSS 2/4 positions have a nice twang. Medium-low action, but with one fret-out spot I can work around.

But I haven't been able to find any information about it, such as year or where it was built. No neckplate, so probably Korea, but I'm not sure. The Matsumoku.org site doesn't cover the Magna series, so it 99% likely wasn't made by Matsumoku, so probably wasn't made in Japan, so that fits.

But (interesting maybe only to me), I've never seen any other Aria Pro II guitar like it on the web anywhere in any of my searches.

Pictures:

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown008.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown007.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown006.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown005.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown004.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown003.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown002.jpg

th_AriaProIIMagnaunkown001.jpg

Archived