Question for Tech21 Trademark 30 owners

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I have a Tech 21 trademark 10 (same amp -- lower powered, earlier version) that I've had since 2000 and find this site incredibly useful:

http://www.cstone.net/~halouis/tm10/

Here is the "unofficial" home page for the SansAmp GT2 (on which the TM10 and 30 are based -- the settings can be used on the amps): http://www.cstone.net/~halouis/tm10/

Between these pages, you have dozens of settings. FYI, the Layla champ setting kicks ass!

Have fun!!

I like that amp so much, I bought it's big brother (TM60) a couple weeks ago for a gigging amp...

• Members

Back in the year 2000, at one of the now-defunct Mars Music stores, I had been playing around with Trademark 10, 30, and 60 combos -- thinking (originally) that I wanted a Trademark 10 or Trademark 30. After spending some quality time with all the combo amps, I ended up liking the Trademark 60 the most because of its preamp.

A few months later, they had a weekend store-wide sale on Tech21 equipment. They had all the Tech21 pedals, rack electronics, power engines, bass heads, speaker cabinets, accessories, et cetera all marked down. I ended up buying a Trademark 60 and a PSA1 bass preamp.

• Members

I gig regularly for free in my living room with one and it's become my favorite amp.

It's not like I think it's the best sounding amp in the world, but it's extremely "tweakable" with its 3 different amp modes x 3 different speaker modes x 3 different gain modes, plus the rest of the gain and EQ features. Nice on-board reverb as well and the tone has a lot of depth to it. The only draw back is I can get some clipping noise (popping) if I'm over driving it (haven't exactly figured out if its that or the speaker bottoming but I've just learned to back it back down when it happens). I've said before that I wouldn't mind a bit more presence from it, but you can capture a bit more with the EQ. But I really like having a SS amp that sounds as tube-like as this one does. I love to watch the TV and noodle around with my guitars at the same time, and I just don't feel comfy doing that if I've got real tubes burning while I A-D-D between playing and spacing out on the television. So I just find it to be more relaxing while providing very nice tones. The Mustang series is also pretty nice but the tone of the Tech 21 TM30 seems a bit more substantial and solid.

It's definitely an amp that I'd buy again.

• Members

Gs Man - I remember reading you really liked yours - but would like more presence.

Adlo - You really must stop changing your avatars so often. I know it is all in good clean fun, but sooner or later someone ends up getting hurt.

Back to Amps: So I don't know. I was going to trade my Mustang II (w/ upgraded speaker) in for one. I figure I can only get like $100 in trade in for it. I was playing the Mustang for a while this morning. Sounds better than $100 to me. I don't know. Still stewing on it.

• Members

Gs Man - I remember reading you really liked yours - but would like more presence.

Yeah, and it's possible that a different speaker would bring that to the table, but I figure the boys at Tech 21 grabbed the speaker they did for the most versatility. So for its Fender tones, it's more like an old Tweed than a '65 Deluxe

• Members

I have a Tech 21 trademark 10 (same amp -- lower powered, earlier version) that I've had since 2000 and find this site incredibly useful:

Here is the "unofficial" home page for the SansAmp GT2 (on which the TM10 and 30 are based -- the settings can be used on the amps):

that is very cool!!! Can't wait to try those settings out on my Trademark 10 when i get home tonight. thanks!

• Members

I strongly recommend the TM-60 over the 10 or 30. It's voiced completely differently. I had a TM-10, sold it. My TM-60 has been with me for close to 10 years now. I played 100's of gigs large and small, it's my "go to" amp. I also own a Blackface Dual Showmman, and Marshall DSL and JVM. I use the Marshall's a lot as well but the TM-60 is a keeper. I also have a Power Engine 60 which I use sometimes with the TM-60, killer combination!

• Members

If you get one, let me know, I'd love to check one out. I'm in a similar boat...not quite satisfied with my Mustang, but don't know where to go from here. Tried the Champion 600 but wanted a bit more sparkle and would love a real dirt channel. Didn't dig the Pathfinder I tested out. Tried a few pedals and modelers but no dice. The Mustang does sound pretty good, but if feels funny playing a nice guitar with great pickups through a computer. And of course size/space/money are tight.

• Members

I've been playing the TM10 and TM60 side by side for a few weeks now, and can't get over the difference the 12" (as opposed to 8") speaker makes. Even at the same inherent volume, the 60 just sounds "bigger".

However, I still haven't found the perfect tone on channel 2. It seems to me to be set up for "chugga-chugga-chugga" and what I'm really looking for is something for soaring, Santana-like tones. Anybody got any settings that might work????

• Members

For a limited time Tech 21 made a limited Edition T30 w/ a Weber speaker. I talked to a guy that played both, and he felt the Weber speaker made a big difference. For over $300 I would hope to get a good speaker. But you know - maybe I'm all screwed up.

• Members

Jarick - I will. I have to be convinced it is that much better than the Mustang. You have the Mustang I, I hav the Mustang II w/ Emminence Legend speaker. I think the speaker replacement did make a difference.

These Mustang amps are ok, but really....I have a Peavy Vypyr that is in the same class and IMO is much better. The Tech21 stuff is in a totally different class. I've seen photo's of Les Paul playing thru a TM60 on stage at Carnegie Hall. I've see video of ZZ Top doing a concert playing thru TM-60's. You will never see these guys playing a pro gig thru a Mustang. The Mustang is ok for the bedroom and even at that IMO I'll take the Vypyr over it. Do not confuse the level of quality of the Trademark amps with a Mustang modeling toy.

Archived