So How Much Does a Custom Shop Guitar Cost?

Tubefox

• Members

So, after having a lot of fun playing around with Carvin's guitar builder and fantasizing, I started checking out other company's custom shops. The thing is....None of them tell you how much it would cost, you have to go to a dealer and they'll look at it and tell you. I mean, it's not that surprising - if you're going to a custom shop you've probably got plenty of money to spend on the guitar of your dreams, but still, it'd be nice to at least get a ballpark figure.

So, anyone bought from/know anyone who bought from a custom shop? What company? How much do custom shop guitars generally run? Are they worth the money?

I'm guessing that a custom guitar costs around $4-5K, but I will not be surprised if I am drastically wrong, especially with Gibson and Fender's custom shops.

• Members

Gibson will run you over $8K for a true one-off. Otherwise their "stock" CS models (Historic Series, Artist Inspired, etc.) generally run $4k-6K new. They used to really promote the one-off stuff and feature them on their website, but lately they keep pretty mum about it. If you aren't looking for anything special, maybe just a different (but traditional) finish on a Historic model, then a larger CS delaer can often order that at minimum upcharge. But if you want real custom...you spec the frets, custom finish, custom hardware, etc., it's going cost you plenty.

• Members

4 to 6 grand (and up) seems pretty common for the Fender custom shop. At the low end of that they look (to me) almost like a deal. with their level of finish and amenities. Gibson custom shop prices are definitely north of that and maybe there's a deal there for a buyer but that's a harder sell to me. Other manufactures can be higher or lower. PRS's with teh zillion A maple tops are pretty sweet and won't usually bring a dime of change under 10 large. The easy one of the bunch is that the Carvin guys will tell you how much and they will let you spcecify just what you want. I have been into their factory store a bunch of times and they are always happy to greet you and let you play whatever takes your fancy. Of the bunch, sight unseen of the others I'd say Carvin would be hard to top at the price

• Members

Depends on whose custom shop you're using.

This. The guy that builds my guitars starts at around $1500 for a neck thru, standard woods and solid paint. Usually with Duncan, Dimarzio's, etc. Once you start adding figured woods and other stuff the price goes up.

• Members

Charvel is offering ala carte customs with listed prices.

I recently ordered a very custom GMP (custom inlay, custom paint, lots of artwork, significant changes to the structure from any of their production models, etc.) and we're not to $4k yet.

Worth it? If you know exactly what you want and if such isn't otherwise available then I'd say so.

• Members

Fender and Gibson are gonna charge a premium for their name, just as they do with their regular stock. a better deal (and I expect a better guitar) will be had from a smaller outfit with a stronger emphasis on its custom shop. I'd look at Suhr or Charvel or Hamer before going anywhere near Fender or Gibson's custom shops. Unless you're thinking about resale, in which case ignore everything I just wrote.

• Members

Anyone seriously exploring the custom market should consider some lesser known but serious independent builders, especially if cost is a consideration. I would strongly encourage anyone in that position to start here:

http://www.benfordguitars.com/

Steve Benford builds outstanding instruments that you simply can't buy as stock models. I own a Benford and it's a better guitar than some others I have that cost more than twice as much.

• Members

Fender and Gibson are gonna charge a premium for their name, just as they do with their regular stock. a better deal (and I expect a better guitar) will be had from a smaller outfit with a stronger emphasis on its custom shop. I'd look at Suhr or Charvel or Hamer before going anywhere near Fender or Gibson's custom shops. Unless you're thinking about resale, in which case ignore everything I just wrote.

Fender actually owns both Charvel & Hamer. When they bought Charve & Jackson the first thing they did was move all C/J production to their Corona, CA facility. The next thing they did was double the price on custom orders. I like C/J & Hamer guitars but they're not really smaller independent shops anymore.

• Members

Depends on where you go and whether you have a real Custom Shop do it. Sorry to Gibson and Fender but what they offer in their "Custom Shop" models aren't custom - they're standard production models that are built by more highly trained luthiers. A true custom guitar is one that is build by a luthier to your specifications, not one that is slightly less mass-produced and sold at big box and online retailers. That's not discriminating against Gibson and Fender (there are plenty of instruments from their "custom shops" that I'd love to own), it's just facts. To the limited extent that they will make you a true custom guitar to your specs then they are custom shops (my guess is that a true custom from them will cost you $10k plus - that's not based on actual investigation but merely a guess based on what their production custom shop pieces cost).

• Members

Sorry to Gibson and Fender but what they offer in their "Custom Shop" models aren't custom - they're standard production models that are built by more highly trained luthiers.

Gibson is doing one-offs again. You work with your dealer and spec out what you want. Then Gibson reviews it and decides if it's something they canwant to build and give the dealer a price. I can tell you from my recent experience that Gibson and PRS run from 6-12k depending on what you want.

• Members

Gibson is doing one-offs again. You work with your dealer and spec out what you want. Then Gibson reviews it and decides if it's something they canwant to build and give the dealer a price. I can tell you from my recent experience that Gibson and PRS run from 6-12k depending on what you want.

Didn't realize they were doing that again. I wonder if they really do a 1 off in those cases... My guess is that they then build a limited run for that guitar store which they require the store to commit to, kinda like those 1 pup LP Standards and Customs that are floating around out there (10-off runs).

• Members

Way more than it is worth.

If someone is paying for it, then clearly to them its worth it. Especially if you do truly one-off specs.

I've got two custom builds, one by AJC, and a Warmoth. The AJC was in the $1200 area and the Warmoth ran me $1500. Both have specs that I could otherwise not get in any other guitar. I also have a CS ESP that I bought used for around the same price, though the original owner likely had to pay twice that.

I would definitely recommend going the custom route if you really want something you cant otherwise buy. However, if all you want is the prestige of the "custom shop" badge, then go used and pick up some great deals.

• Members

If someone is paying for it, then clearly to them its worth it. Especially if you do truly one-off specs.

I've got two custom builds, one by AJC, and a Warmoth. The AJC was in the $1200 area and the Warmoth ran me $1500. Both have specs that I could otherwise not get in any other guitar. I also have a CS ESP that I bought used for around the same price, though the original owner likely had to pay twice that.

I would definitely recommend going the custom route if you really want something you cant otherwise buy. However, if all you want is the prestige of the "custom shop" badge, then go used and pick up some great deals.

I wasn't thinking of the Warmoth as a custom guitar, because that is more of a self-build. I was thinking about custom guitars from custom shops where they do everything and only everything. I have looked at Warmoth myself and came to about the same price of $1500.00 and I agree with you that it would be worth it for you would get a guitar that would truly be yours without paying $3000.00-5000.00 for it.

Archived