How many guitar players do you think there are in the U.S?

Mav64

• Members

Les Paul said something like this after being asked a similar question. There are a lot of people who play guitar, but...

God has a way of limiting the number of really good guitar players who are alive at a given time.

I represent that remark. Or something like that. Wait. Which part?

• Members

I like the point above. The question should pose... 'People who are guitar players' not 'People who play guitar'. Big difference.

My original post says, "everyone from beginner's learning their first cowboy chords to top-notch pros". Reading is fundamental...

• Members

Real guitar players or guys that just know three chords and strum?

Couldn't remember. That's why I wrote this, I assume this includes everybody from beginners just learning their first cowboy chords to top notch pros.

It makes sense...

• Members

Couldn't remember. That's why I wrote this,
I assume this includes everybody from beginners just learning their first cowboy chords to top notch pros.

It makes sense...

If they're only basing the numbers on sales figures... How many guitars have been purchased as presents, or the guys that bought them, tried to tune them for a week and then stuck it in the corner of the closet? Rich guys buying as investments? Trashed instruments from head spins and never replaced? Would they be considered guitar players?

Someone mentioned that HC represents less than 1% of guitar players in USA. Could that be true or is it representative of the American guitar playing public? If so, most guys here have two or three guitars on average so that would really cut down the number of guitarists wouldn't it?

:idk:

• 8 years later...
  • Members
On 4/3/2020 at 2:14 PM, The Monkey said:

500,000,000. I actually have been playing electric guitar for 3 years and my teacher says I have the skills of someone who has played for 10 years. 😝

Yeah, but playing tuba for 10 years doesn't help guitar playing. 😀

• Members

According to a survey done by Rolling Stone a few years back, 93% of people who attempt to learn guitar quit in the first year.

A Gallup poll claimed that 15,000,000 people in the USA "play" guitar.  Obviously, they extrapolated that number from a tiny sample size of a couple thousand people (as they always do).  Further, they did not define what "playing" actually means.  Anyway, that's about 5% of the population, or 1 in 20 people, which is ridiculously high.

So, even if we take that 15,000,000 as "real", consider that 93% will quit, and that leaves you with just over 1 million.  My gut feeling says that's about right.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:20 AM, OregonJim said:

According to a survey done by Rolling Stone a few years back, 93% of people who attempt to learn guitar quit in the first year.

A Gallup poll claimed that 15,000,000 people in the USA "play" guitar.

Jim, by any chance do you have a link to either the poll or the RS article? I'd like to check those out. 

• Members

Well John Sebastian counted the guitar players in Nashville at one time. I'm sure there's a few more now.

Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar pickers in Nashville

I googled this

It is estimated that there are 20 million guitar players in the U.S.
There are about 50 million guitar players in the world.

.7% of the world's population can play guitar, this percentage translates into about 50 million people worldwide, which shows that if 50 million people have learned how to do it, you can too. This also shows how unique of a hobby playing guitar is,  which makes playing guitar an extremely valuable skill to be able to do. 

Hobby. no way. It's a lifestyle

• Members
5 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Jim, by any chance do you have a link to either the poll or the RS article? I'd like to check those out. 

Sorry, no.  I read the RS article maybe 5 years ago in a paper copy.  The Gallup poll was cited in a NAMM newsletter a couple of years ago.  That's the best I can do.

Archived