How many guitar players do you think there are in the U.S?

Mav64

• Members

I think I remember reading once somewhere that there's an estimated 15,000,000 guitar players in the US. :eek: I assume this includes everybody from beginners just learning their first cowboy chords to top notch pros. Now does that make you feel any less special? Reminds me of the line from Let There Be Rock, and there was 15 million fingers, learning how to play, or something like that...

• Members

Please try to be precise!

That's a tribute to Bob Dylan. He was once asked in the mid-'60s by someone at an interview session, "How many folk singers are there like you?"

He said something like, "About 146.... Maybe 149."

I always thought that was funny, Dylan really played games with people that were desperate to get a straight answer out of him :lol:

• Members

That's a tribute to Bob Dylan. He was once asked in the mid-'60s by someone at an interview session, "How many folk singers are there like you?"

He said something like, "About 146.... Maybe 149."

I always thought that was funny, Dylan really played games with people that were desperate to get a straight answer out of him
:lol:

Sorry man that went wayyy over my head. Not a huge Dylan guy. Happy 70th to him though!

• Members

I think I remember reading once somewhere that there's an estimated 15,000,000 guitar players in the US.
:eek:
I assume this includes everybody from beginners just learning their first cowboy chords to top notch pros. Now does that make you feel any less special? Reminds me of the line from
Let There Be Rock,
and there was 15 million fingers, learning how to play
, or something like that...

Most of the guitar players have 10 fingers, so that would bring it down to 1 1/2 million, but according to the song, that was 1955. Maybe Guitar Center could get a sign like McDonalds, "over a billion served".

• Members

I think I remember reading once somewhere that there's an estimated 15,000,000 guitar players in the US...
:eek:

The US Census Bureau has it at 15.0 million guitar players -- which includes an untold number of Van Halen wannabees, but only 0.000001 million Larry Conklin wannabees.

• Members

The more I think about it, the more I want to call *bullshit* on the 15 million figure. It's probably more like 5 million guitar players, unless they're counting Guitar Hero players as guitar players. :rolleyes:

It could also be that the statistician who came up with the 15 million figure was thinking 1 guitar = 1 person. WRONG!

By the way, my definition for a "guitar player" is a person who plays any combination of the following: Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, acoustic bass guitar, and/or electric bass guitar. Acoustic and electric banjo players need not apply.

• Members

10 percent of the population would be 33 million-ish. I think that's high, 5 percent sounds more realistic

Damn, imagine 33 million guitarists and counting?

The American guitar population would outnumber the entire Canadian population in about 2.56432 years.

Archived