Cheap Fender Co. Strats

• Members

I don't really get it. What is the difference between Fender Affinity, Squier Affinity, and Starcaster?

Some Squiers are actually pretty good, right? So where do the Squier Bullets fit in?

Are Squiers even built in Japan anymore?

Which are better, MIJ Fenders or MIJ Squiers?

What is the order, from worst to best, of Fender Co. Strat guitars?

• Members

Depends not just what country but what year. Also depends on the model.

Starcaster is the new cheapie. Before that the Squier Afinity was the low end (thinner bodies too).

It can be tough to compare quality of two Strats made in two different countries in different years.

The MIJ Fenders are real good - as good as many USA Fenders, depending on the model of each. MIM span the range from "meh" to "amehzing". ;).

I've owned a couple hundred Fender electrics over the past couple decades (mostly 80s-present models). I certainly don't know everything, but I've gotten to play a bunch of examples. That said, a decent setup can make all the difference in the world!

Squier has put out some killer instruments over the years as well between the ProTone series, the MIJ line, and the newer CV stuff, it's just user preference as to what to buy.

• Members

Other than the thinner bodies, my Squier Bullet and Squier Affinity Strats hold their own just fine. It's interesting that the SE models in the strat packs have full thickness bodies though.

[video=youtube;-nSsPT3Uzis]

[video=youtube;3MceW5nwsXk]

[video=youtube;ONOBFR5qC2U]

Archived