Steve Miller Appreciation Thread

Woody_in_MN

• Members

One of rock's biggest plagarists. Listen to "Alright Now" and then listen to his "Rockin' me Baby", then listen to "Rocky Mountain Way" and his "Nobody Loves you Like the Way I Do", not only did he steal the riff on that one, but also uses a talkbox, to add insult to injury.

I don't know, he may have done that coincidently, if that was what he was listening to at the time. Many of the songs I have written sound like what I was listening to at the time.

Then again, who knows? The talk box is a bit much.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw him back in about 1991 or so...great show at an outdoor gig...the line up was:

-Sloan

-Sass Jordan

-Extreme

-Steve Miller Band

-Brian Adams

60,000 people. It was an excellent time and the only outdoor show that I have been to that was a completely positive experience.

Saw sass jordan back in like '94. Her drummer was a complete animal, broke a set sticks during each song they played.

• Members

One of rock's biggest plagarists. Listen to "Alright Now" and then listen to his "Rockin' me Baby", then listen to "Rocky Mountain Way" and his "Nobody Loves you Like the Way I Do", not only did he steal the riff on that one, but also uses a talkbox, to add insult to injury.

You are welcome to your opinion - but I think this is a stretch. To me "Alright Now" is not "Rockin' me Baby". "Rocky Mountain Way", and Nobody Loves you Like the Way I Do" are both shuffles. I'd leave it at that.

I kind of read through the new comments this morning. Kind of reflecting on it. And honestly, I know SM form the early stuff. "Children of the Future", through about "Your Saving Grace". For my taste, he did get very, very pop by the 1980's - atleast in the albums. I listened to snippets from one of his last album "Let you Hair Down" - to me he has returned to his roots. Heavy on the blues, rock/blues style. I am restocking my SM collection. I am starting with "Anthology" - that has quite a bit of the very early stuff, and "Sailor" - a couple gems, and tongue in cheek songs on that one.

Oh yeah. "Going to Mexico" is great.

• Members

Loved some of his early stuff.

He can really sing when he wants to- like "Livin in the USA " ( killer track and groove ).

Listen to his live vocal on "Come On Into My Kitchen " the Robert Johnson track.

.He could have come out with a lot more heavyweight material, especially teaming back up with Boz Scaggs.

Always thought he was an underrated singer, who could have come up with more heavyweight stuff, he can really sing the hell out ouf Blues and R@B influenced stuff.

• Members

But seriously, I liked some of his earlier stuff the best - like the first album, Sailor, and Children Of The Future.

Of his early work, the only one I'm really familiar with is "Sailor", particularly liking "Livin' In the USA" (really love the "cheeseburger" line) and "Overdrive".

Absolutely can't stand "The Joker" and all subsequent releases.

• Members

Of his early work, the only one I'm really familiar with is "Sailor", particularly liking "Livin' In the USA" (really love the "cheeseburger" line) and "Overdrive".

Absolutely can't stand "The Joker" and all subsequent releases.

You know, I'm almost feel the same. I think he went real commercial with "Joker". But listening to his latest stuff, he has gone back to Rock/Blues. I ordered "Sailor" mainly for "Overdrive", "Gangster of Love" (real tongue in cheek stuff), "My Friend", and "Dear Mary". Love "Quicksilver Girl" too. That one brings back memories.

• Members

As far as I know, "Rockin' Me Baby" was actually written as a tribute to Paul Kossoff (sp?) from Free.

The correct name of the song that has a similar riff to "Rocky Mountain Way" is "The Stake"

• Members

I used to like Steve Miller. Then I attended an outdoor show in Boulder back in the late 70's, where he played maybe 25 minutes tops. He was so stoned that he struggled through that, repeated the lyrics to "Jungle Love" which he'd no doubt sung thousands of times before. I also remember another guitarist in his band jumping around like he was auditioning for a spot in Fallout Boy, but not playing anything particularly exciting.

Then we got "Abracadabra". Pretty much done right then and there with SM.

• Members

I don't think people realize just how many records this guy has sold. The Greatest Hits 1974-1978 has sold over 13 million copies alone and is #37 on the RIAA list of all-time best-selling albums :eek: . I also heard that he does a killer duet with Eric Johnson on the song Texas from Eric's new cd....:cool:

• Members

Just thought of this one I got back maybe in 70. "The Miller Band" backing up Chuck Berry at the Fillmore in 67. Not the greatest thing: Chuck used to like pickup bands because to frugal to bring his own. this was before Steve had his own recording contract, I think..... bit of trivia for fans

1378710-chuck-berry-chuck-berry-with-the

• Members

"Really like your peaches wanna shake your tree"

I kinda like that!

Since that line's been mentioned twice, I just wanna point out that it is a very old line. I have the "peaches/shake your tree" line pop up on dozens of old pre-WW2 blues and country recordings. Not calling Miller out as a plagiarist or anything, but that line goes wayyyy back. I also think ZZ Top used it before Miller. Still a cool line. I ain't being a hater.

• Members

Since that line's been mentioned twice, I just wanna point out that it is a very old line. I have the "peaches/shake your tree" line pop up on dozens of old pre-WW2 blues and country recordings. Not calling Miller out as a plagiarist or anything, but that line goes wayyyy back. I also think ZZ Top used it before Miller. Still a cool line. I ain't being a hater.

Miller got the line at the end, "Well you're the cutest thing that I ever did see, I really love your peaches want to shake your tree, lovey dovey, lovey dovey..." from the opening line of "Lovey Dovey," a 1953 song by R&B group The Clovers

since he used it as a fade outro, it was probably a tribute not a lift.

Archived