Steve Miller Appreciation Thread

Woody_in_MN

• Members

So he is mainstream. So what. Always good tone. Good sraight ahead Rock. Also wrote some touching love songs. "Living in the USA" always makes me turn up the volume. His only sin might be over-play on classic rock stations.

Thanks Steve.

jyV41-tFPcQ

steve-miller-band.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw him back in about 1991 or so...great show at an outdoor gig...the line up was:

-Sloan

-Sass Jordan

-Extreme

-Steve Miller Band

-Brian Adams

60,000 people. It was an excellent time and the only outdoor show that I have been to that was a completely positive experience.

• Members

and one of the worst lyricists ever.

Are you kidding? He speaks of the pompatus of love!

But seriously, I liked some of his earlier stuff the best - like the first album, Sailor, and Children Of The Future.

I recently saw a concert of him in Chicago on PBS. They opened with a very extended version of Fly Like An Eagle that I enjoyed. When I used to play in a cover band, we did that song and it always got the crowd grooving.

• Members

Some great hooks, some heavenly-sounding albums, and one of the worst lyricists ever.

Still, overall
:thu:

Word. To wit: "Really like your peaches wanna shake your tree". Or how about:

"Feed the babies

Who don't have enough to eat

Shoe the children

With no shoes on their feet

House the people

Livin' in the street

Oh, oh, there's a solution

I want to fly like an eagle..." Some solution, eh? :facepalm:

• Members

Are you kidding? He speaks of the pompatus of love!

But seriously, I liked some of his earlier stuff the best - like the first album, Sailor, and Children Of The Future.

I recently saw a concert of him in Chicago on PBS. They opened with a very extended version of Fly Like An Eagle that I enjoyed. When I used to play in a cover band, we did that song and it always got the crowd grooving.

I like his early stuff too. Up through "Your Saving Grace". "Little Girl" is just great kinda Blues/Funk stuff.

7qnNGoZ2LCY

BTW - There are bad lyricists out there. I don't count SM as one. Gotta cut him some slack. He was churning out albums pretty quickly for a while.

• Members

I sold my wireless unit to his second guitarist from the early days just about a year ago. Cool dude with some cool stories. I've been a long time fan, he has Dallas roots so we always considered him one of us. First album I ever bought - Books of Dreams (and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic the same day). Love me some Steve Miller. One of the few artists I'm a huge fan of but have never seen live - he plays the local House of Blues about once a year now, I need to go next time.

• Members

I saw him back in about 1991 or so...great show at an outdoor gig...the line up was:

-Sloan

-Sass Jordan

-Extreme

-Steve Miller Band

-Brian Adams

60,000 people. It was an excellent time and the only outdoor show that I have been to that was a completely positive experience.

I saw him in 1973(?) All-Campus Week-End. NC State.

I also remember:

J. Geils Band

Rare Earth

There were others I can't remember.

He was great. J. Geils was phenomenal.

• Members

"Feed the babies

Shoe the children

House the people

Livin' in the street

I want to fly like an eagle..." Some solution, eh?
:facepalm:

Er...I don't think he was poetically or in any other sense proposing that as the solution. Just a song, ya know?

• Members

"Feed the babies

Shoe the children

House the people

Livin' in the street

I think THOSE lyrics, are actually quite profound. I don't think of SM as habitually bad lyrics, but he is famous for:

Billy mack is a detective down in texas

You know he knows just exactly what the facts is

He aint gonna let those two escape justice

He makes his livin off of the peoples taxes

• Members

I drove down from Eugene to Santa Clara for the 2nd annual Northern Cal folk rock festival in May of 69 to see him (2 of my fave albums were Children of the Future and Sailor). Unfortunately Boz was gone by then and Steve had gone to a trio. What the hell, last time Experience played together for finale.

Then in March of 70 saw in Corvallis at Gil Coliseum. So crowed had to sit on stage. Odd to light up a joint with 15,000 people looking your way. Steve was last act, after Youngbloods, Country Joe and the Fish, and Paul Butterfield. He only played 20-30 minutes (I'd lay down on my side on the stage about 8' from him). I don't think he could have played longer, would have had a heart attack. Most intense driven set I've seen. GF got a pick from him after the show.

So for me there were the superior early albums, the middle era with some good stuff, but the later era was just too bubble gummish for me.

• Members

"Feed the babies

Shoe the children

House the people

Livin' in the street

• Members

One of rock's biggest plagarists. Listen to "Alright Now" and then listen to his "Rockin' me Baby", then listen to "Rocky Mountain Way" and his "Nobody Loves you Like the Way I Do", not only did he steal the riff on that one, but also uses a talkbox, to add insult to injury.

Archived