Sharpening Picks on a Carpet.. wish i knew about this before!!

monto

• Members

I like my vintage rounded picks. Sometimes I even use the other "end" of the pick. Can get a sort of bowed sound - like the start of Jimmy Jazz by The Clash.

I feel the same. Besides, there's no such thing as a fast neck or pick. Just fast players.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get the hell out!! :lol:

I got down on hands and knees sure that I was being duped, but it worked! Exactly like he showed. I made about 3 passes on each side with an .88 Tortex pick that had been worn pretty bad and it cleaned right up, nice point, nice smooth edges.

I am amazed that I haven't heard of this before.

Thanks for posting it! :thu:

• Members

Interesting, but I never understood the appeal of a pointed pick. Rounded picks let you exercise some dynamics depending on how you pick, and thin, pointed picks just seem to 'shout' all the time. Meh, not for me.

Yep ^ ^ ^ ^

• Members

Doesn't work too well with thick picks....gave up on my 1.60 after 10 swipes per side and very little progress.

Have to disagree here - worked like a dream on my V-Pick in just 3 passes and it's at least 2mm thick... (the pick, not the carpet ;))

• Members

Old news.. I've done this trick to brand new Stubbies for years. Stubbies tend to come out of the pack with a rough edge on them where the mold splits (it's called flashing, for the manufacturing newbies out there..) A few passes and you've got a nicely smoothed edge.

• Members

I'll have to see if it works on the nylons I have. I've tried the emery board but it tends not to work so good (takes a lot of work to keep some point and they seem to wear faster after "sanding"). I don't need a super sharp pick but I like some pointness (if that's a word :freak:). I like the nylons the best overall but they tend to get very rounded after a while and need to be replaced

• Members

OK OK OK ........ wait..... I just got a little bit excited just now. Possible enlightened moment for me - do any of y'all think this method would work on a vinyl LP???

Anyone have the inclination to try it?? Got an old 'New Kids on the Block' vinyl your not too bothered about?

All my vinyl is at my mothers hoose. I'll have to wait until sunday until i can get a hold of some.

Here's the thing - i know yooz gonna think this is really stooooopid but i'm looking to make a pickguard outta vinyl . Apparently vinyl is a total pain in the ass to work with, got to heat it without melting and warping it, trying to shape it cold -it's very likely to shatter.

You reckon a few thousand carpet swipes could give me a good starting base? Of course i would use some other smaller tool for the more intricate curves and whatnot?

Or.......... am i just an idiot? (i'm cool with that too though)

Archived